Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

0 members and 3,194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New with many questions!

My name is Cierra, and I'm currently a college student who has developed an interest in snakes after seeing just how precious a Kenyan Sand boa can be. Of the snakes I've looked into, I've definitely decided a corn snake should be apart of my life.
    I've been doing a lot of research, and while some information seems pretty obvious, I've got a little bit more obscure questions about these things.

1) Substrate, the wide consensus is Aspen shavings.
    -Where do you get Aspen shavings from​?
    -Ive seen concerns about dust, is there a way to rid a bag of Aspen shavings of dust?
    -How deep should the substrate be?

2) Age, most people seem to have young, young snakes. I definitely think that they are PRECIOUS.
    -What age of corn is best for someone new to snakes?
    -Where is the best place to get a first pet snake? Online sellers feel kind of like a temperament roll-of-the-dice,

3) Breeders,
    -Are there certain things I should look for when looking into getting a snake from someone?
    -Are there things to look out for?
    (This is less urgent because it'll be a while before I will get a snake)

4) Viv set up/ gear (I'm personally leaning towards a glass terrarium, I like the look, and I do want to provide things to climb on and decoration)
    -Ive seen a lot of "probe" thermometer suggestions, I'm not sure how this works or what these look like. Do you leave them in the tank? Or check at set times of the day?
    -What size tank would be a good size for a corn snake? Is it better to vary size as the snake grows?
    -How often do things need to be "disinfected"? And with what?

Any and all information would be super appreciated!
    I want to be as prepared as possible!
    Links to other threads where any of these questions are discussed would also be stellar. Navigating a new site is always awkward for me..

Thank you all for reading and sharing experiences/information!!
    <3
    -Cierra

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New with many questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcie View Post
    1) Substrate, the wide consensus is Aspen shavings.
    -Where do you get Aspen shavings from​?
    -Ive seen concerns about dust, is there a way to rid a bag of Aspen shavings of dust?
    -How deep should the substrate be?
    Aspen shavings or sani chips are both acceptable as well as paper towels. I keep my corns on sani chips because it's easy to spot clean. I haven't seen any concerns about dust but you can always add the bedding, let the enclosure air out then put your snake back inside. I put about an inch and a half in because mine like to hide in the bedding.

2) Age, most people seem to have young, young snakes. I definitely think that they are PRECIOUS.
    -What age of corn is best for someone new to snakes?
    -Where is the best place to get a first pet snake? Online sellers feel kind of like a temperament roll-of-the-dice,
    When it comes to age, that's personal preference. I've gotten hatchlings that were established on food and gotten juvies. Younger corns tend to be more nervous or spastic and want to run away but like any animal. It's all about how much time you work with the animal. Mine are all pretty calm but I've worked with them quite a bit.

Are there any reptile shows in your area? Going to the show to look around, talk to breeders and checking out the different snakes is always the best in my opinion. There are a lot of reputable breeders online.

3) Breeders,
    -Are there certain things I should look for when looking into getting a snake from someone?
    -Are there things to look out for?
    (This is less urgent because it'll be a while before I will get a snake)
    This goes back to my above paragraph. Going to a show is best so you can see the condition of the snake with your own two eyes, if it has stuck shed, looks underweight, etc. When ordering online, you can look for reviews about that particular breeder. If you don't want to chance it with an individual, there are plenty of breeders that operate medium to large scale operations and it would be easier to find reviews on them compared to John Smith. When talking to a breeder online, you want to pay attention to how attentive they are to your questions, if they are quick to reply (not within seconds but in a timely manner) or if they don't get back to you for days at a time.

4) Viv set up/ gear (I'm personally leaning towards a glass terrarium, I like the look, and I do want to provide things to climb on and decoration)
    -Ive seen a lot of "probe" thermometer suggestions, I'm not sure how this works or what these look like. Do you leave them in the tank? Or check at set times of the day?
    -What size tank would be a good size for a corn snake? Is it better to vary size as the snake grows?
    -How often do things need to be "disinfected"? And with what?
    I started my corns in 6qt latching sterilite tubs because like all snakes, they are escape artists. I had Mischief in a 6qt for about 9 months until we hit a massive growth spurt and outgrew the tub. I put him in a larger tub and once he's full grown he will be in an enclosure that's decorated. My other corn is in a 10g tank with a lid that has screen clips and a book on top because I'm not chancing the curious one getting out.

Probe should be between the heat source and the bottom of the enclosure. Inside the enclosure and your snake can move the probe which could make the heat keep rising because it's not being controlled. I do check on my thermostats in the mornings before I leave and again when I come home.

I spot clean as I see the poop and do a complete tear down once a month to deep clean and scrub out all the tubs. I use a water/bleach mix and thoroughly rinse everything out then make sure the tubs have aired out completely before putting the snakes back in. They also make commercial products for disinfecting reptile enclosures.

Here's the care sheet from the main page.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ata-guttata%29

3. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-09-2017)

Thanks
    A lot of people who are more deeply into reptiles may think of themselves as collectors or breeders and that means they may be picky about getting reptiles wth the most vibrant colors and patterns that they like. Like anything else, when people buy reptiles they're going to tend to pick the best looking ones first, so if want the best selection you probably want to buy babies before they get picked over. Secondly, these guys already HAVE multiple adult animals so there is no sense of wanting to get a big one because it's cool. That need has already been filled.

For a new/casual collector it's not a big deal. Feel free to get any age you want. My advice would be to go to a reptile show if possible and pick out an animal there. You'll get to see and handle LOTS of different animals and this will help you feel comfortable about your choice. You'll see firsthand that they are healthy, what their attitude is like, and whether you feel intimidated by a bigger snake or whether you find babies to be nervous or feel "fragile" to you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-09-2017)

Thanks

Andrewross,
    Thank you for all of the amazing information!
    I will look into going to some reptile shows, I don't live too far from Portland so perhaps I'll find a couple there.

Where do you get your sanichips from? Is there a brand in particular? Because when I think of aspen shavings my instinct tells me a hardware store, but I imagine there should be some sterility to them in order to be safe for the snake.

In your opinion, do you feel starting them out in tubs and then eventually moving them into a decorated enclosure is better for establishing a handling routine?
    On some forums (just around the internet, not here in particular) I've read a fair amount of biting/nipping behaviors popping up. I'm sure that this can be snake-by-snake case because they are all individuals, but are there things I could do to reduce the chance of that sort of thing? Would having them in small tubs first, help with that?

I'll have to read more into the technology itself for thermometers, is there some kind of UTH heat source that I can adjust in case it's not enough/too much?

Dboeren,
    Sounds like a reptile show will be the way to go!
    I don't think that I need particular colour morphs or anything, in fact, I've seen some that I've really liked but I also tend not to be too picky in that department.

Thanks again for answering my questions!
    I'll keep doing research!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to learn a lot from some friendly, knowledgeable and experienced people.

Corns are a great choice. I have two myself. I think a lot of what I would have said has already been mentioned so I'll just throw my two cents in on a few things.

-Aspen is a good option, but I switched away from it in favor of a mix of repti-bark and eco earth coco fiber. I like it better for humidity maintenance. The mix allows for burrowing as well, which mine like to do. I put about 2-3" of substrate.

-As for age, this is completely up to you. Hatchlings and juveniles are adorable, and I'm glad I got my corns as juveniles. That being said, I got my Kingsnake (Very similar to corns) as and adult. The reason being, juveniles are harder to handle in my opinion. They are extremely quick and always on the go. Your hands are constantly moving when handling them, and it's tough to just "chill" with them. Plus, they are escape artists, and when that small they are able to fit just about ANYWHERE. That makes escapes or losing them while handling a little more risky. So with juveniles, be very careful with making sure the enclosure is escape proof and don't let them roam too far while handling. This goes for any snakes, but more so with faster, slender-bodied snakes like corns. As adults, they are much easier to handle, keep an eye on, etc...

That being said, I love the experience of watching the juveniles grow, I would recommend it to anybody getting into the hobby. However, I will never get a juvenile colubrid again, because I LOVE them as adults, and prefer not to do the hand-over-hand always go-go-go handling routine. I personally will get juveniles again, but only slower moving, heavy-bodied snakes that aren't as skittish and are easier to handle.
    So, this is a great place for me to agree with those who commented above suggesting you visit a reptile expo. That's a fantastic place to meet and interact with the animals and the breeders. You'll be able to handle different species of different sizes, ages, etc... and get a better ide of what you want in your first snake.

-For breeders, again, I suggest going to an Expo. You'll be able to meet some breeders, ask them questions, etc... Plus, Expos will have websites that list the vendors and breeders who will be there, so you can do some research online about who's there. This allows you to pick out the tables that have corns and make sure to visit them, Plus, you can do some homework on the breeder beforehand.

-And for setup, that's another choice that only you can make. You'll need to decide on what's most important for you. Do you want to be able to see your snake and have a "natural" looking enclosure? Do you want ease of care and upkeep? There are pros and cons to all enclosures, so you'll have to do some homework and decide which suits you best. I personally have all my snakes in glass currently, but will be switching to PVC once funds allow. I will still maintain the display look of glass, but will be making upkeep a little easier. In my opinion, whatever enclosure works for you and the snake is fine. If you're willing to put in the additional time to keep glass and you're providing the snake with a proper enclosure go for it. If you can spend the money and want a display enclosure that's easier to keep than glass look into PVC. If you want ease and aren't as concerned with appearance look into tubs.

-Now onto the nippiness/biting concern. Yes, some are more nippy than others by nature. Mine have never nipped, bit, hissed, gone into "S" shape or anything of the sort. One did rattle his tail at me once and musked when I picked him up, but that's it. I've never had a "nippy" snake to deal with, so I can't offer much advice here.

-Tech question: All heat sources should be on a thermostat. This regulates the heat source and prevents dangerous heat spikes as well as maintaining a balanced temperature. Not using a thermostat is very dangerous to your snake and can cause burns and be fatal. Unregulated heat sources can also be a fire hazard.

-Anyway, I hope I helped a little. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-09-2017)

Thanks

Woah, Thank you so much Craigafrechette!
    I didn't even know about PVC enclosures, so it seems that I have a lot more research to do.. This also sounds like it would be a great idea for ball pythons? Is there a reason that PVC is cleaner than glass? Or easier to clean?

For the reptibark/ecoearth cocofiber mix, is that one to one? How humid is "too humid" for corn snakes?

I'll look into a thermostat for sure! Are there any reliable brands/sources that I can find?
    I will definitely do more research on these as well.

Seems I've only begun to scratch the surface!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcie View Post
    Woah, Thank you so much Craigafrechette!
    I didn't even know about PVC enclosures, so it seems that I have a lot more research to do.. This also sounds like it would be a great idea for ball pythons? Is there a reason that PVC is cleaner than glass? Or easier to clean?

For the reptibark/ecoearth cocofiber mix, is that one to one? How humid is "too humid" for corn snakes?

I'll look into a thermostat for sure! Are there any reliable brands/sources that I can find?
    I will definitely do more research on these as well.

Seems I've only begun to scratch the surface!
    My pleasure.

I'm still in the research phase of PVC. I'm most likely going to build my own. But the benefits are that they have a glass or plexi-glass front to keep the viewing aspect of glass enclosures. But glass is a terrible insulator, so heat control is easier with PVC. Less heat is escaping, so less needs to be produced. Also, they are more enclosed than glass because of the screen cage tops that glass use. PVC just has a few vents for airflow, but isn't wide open like the screens. This helps with heat and humidity control. Humidity control is probably the biggest complaint about glass enclosures. The smooth surface of the PVC is easier to clean than glass too. and no hard water stains to worry about after misting.

Corns don't have very specific humidity requirements, but where I live winters are very dry, so I mist occasionally in the winter. The rest of the year ambient humidity is usually fine. I don't let it get too high though. Higher humidity for too long can cause mouth rot and other health hazards. So usually just the ambient humidity that the substrate soaks up and the water dish are plenty.

Herpstat is the most common thermostat in the hobby from what I have seen and read. There are other options though. They can get a bit pricey, but it would be horrible to have something happen to your snake. The initial set-up for a snake can be a decent chunk, but once you have the set-up, it's mostly just food. Substrate and electricity are cheap. The only other major expense is when/if a trip to the vet is needed.

There is a lot to learn, but for me that's part of the fun of the snake/reptile hobby. They are fascinating animals and the more we know about them the better we can care for them.

Props to you for doing your homework before bringing the snake home! There will always be a learning curve, but with research prior you can save yourself a lot of headaches and money!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-10-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi Cierra,

Welcome to ball-pythons.net!

Recommended book: Kathy Love, Corn snakes: a comprehensive owner's guide. https://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C.../dp/1882770706

An excellent site: www.cornsnakes.com

I did a web search using these key words, "portland oregon herpetological society". There were a number of hits that you might find helpful. Getting plugged into the local herp scene is usually good. And sometimes something worthwhile comes up on craigslist.org or at your local humane society or reptile rescue.

Aquariums are often inexpensive, especially leakers, which is always good. The major problem with using an aquarium is the top. Most commercial tops are made of some sort of screen. Metal screen is abrasive when the snake rubs its nose there. And heat rises, so keeping a good temperature in the cage can be difficult. If you or friends have reasonable do-it-yourself skills, a better top can be made out of 1/8 inch pegboard.

I like a timer on the heater so I can have the power turn off automatically at night.

For cage substrate, try a farm supply or poultry feed store.

My own preference is for an IR temperature gun. I've nothing against a probe type thermometer except that it is one more thing to clutter up the cage.

Minimum cage size = 1/2 as long as snake's length, 1/4 as wide as snake's length, or equivalent square footage in floor space. Bigger is better.

Good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-09-2017)

Thanks

Paulh,
    Thank you!
    Especially for the aspen location! We've got the magic of Wilco here in Oregon, so I will check with them.
    I like to think that I have good DIY skills, but I definitely have two roommates who know how to DIY.

I LOVE complete guides, and so I bought and shall read that book in the next week or so.
    I know of a nice reptile place the next town over, and found an exotic pet store here in this town. I'll definitely make some time to visit those places.

I'd like a timer based heater, however is there kinds where you can set a time for the temperature to just turn down? I tend to live with a living space colder than average, and wouldn't wanna harm my snake by making it too cold..

So probe type thermometers DO stay in the substrate? I'll definitely get an IR temp gun, no matter the heat source.

Thanks
    There are multiple heating options. You can use a radiant heat panel or a heat pad with a PVC enclosure. Either of those heat sources will plug into the thermostat. You set the desired temperature on the thermostat and it controls the output of the heat source so that it maintains a steady temperature in the enclosure.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast