Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

1 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Active

Thanks

Active

My BP seems to spend most of his non-hide time "exploring" (trying to find a way out of) of his ten gl tank. He's a baby but likes to spend time hanging from the temp probe suction cups/lines and working himself up/down the corners and sides of his tank. Is this normal? He spends a lot of time huddled in his hide but when he's out he's testing the enclosure.

Thanks

Re: Active

Quote Originally Posted by psqwan View Post
    My BP seems to spend most of his non-hide time "exploring" (trying to find a way out of) of his ten gl tank. He's a baby but likes to spend time hanging from the temp probe suction cups/lines and working himself up/down the corners and sides of his tank. Is this normal? He spends a lot of time huddled in his hide but when he's out he's testing the enclosure.
    Sounds like something could be off with his enclosure that is stressing him out. What kind of set up do you have for him in the 10 gallon tank? How many hides (how big), temps on the warm since, cool side, and humidity? Some exploration I think is normal but not all the time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmocken For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (05-08-2017)

Thanks

How long have you had him?. My BP will come out and explore and climb the cage every now and then. They do not have good vision, so seeing the glass of a tank might be a tad problematic. Snakes will naturally try to find a way out of their enclosure. That is why it is important to make sure you close your cages. I would be worried if your ball is rubbing its head/nose raw. Or constantly frantically moving about the enclosure. If he is hiding for a while, then other times coming out and exploring. That sounds normal to me. Exploring does include trying to find a way out lol
    Last edited by KingNoFace; 05-08-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    0.1 Albino Corn
    1.0 Ball Python
    0.1 Striped California King

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KingNoFace For This Useful Post:

psqwan (05-09-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for reply, have had him for five weeks with one good live hopper feeding per week. There is a temp gradient but still working on getting the heat/humid correct. Researching ceramic or red light source on top/near his hide. One hide on warm side above the UTH pad that is large enough for him to coil underneath. (although he will hang is tail/body outside of it sometimes) On the cool side there is a plastic plant thing that he will lie underneath. A water dish will fit him but haven't seen him bathing but the water level goes down and needs refills every two days or so. Humid probe upper left back part of tank, temp probe upper right side rear part of tank. (generally below 80 F and humid 50-70 depending if I put a cover on the screen top)