Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

3 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Beginner just bought a Burm

Oh just saw your edit on your post. Tell your son I think he's a cool kid to handle this so well. My kids that are 12 and 14 have been reading this thread over my shoulder and are sending good thoughts his way to get a really cool snake this time. They vote for ball python but then they are very biased (and too darn young to vote anyways! LOL)

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

glad to see your son is willing to agree. what size range are you looking for? a ball python is a good starter snakes, if you have patience. my advice would be to return the snake, at least get store credit, and wait a couple weeks so you can research a particular snake. ball pythons only get to about 5ft max, and thats for a female. they can be picky eaters though. id say go with a boa, but even males get 6-8ft. although, boas are really calm, the only time ive been bit is from a stuipid feeding error.
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

You made a good choice to take the burm back. Those types of snake sales at pet stores are hurting the snake keeping hobby by causing local governments to place restrictions on pet snakes. If you could print out a copy of a caresheet on burms and give it to the pet store manager I think that my help also.

Here is a link to a burm caresheet:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=16
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Jason, I'm thinking of no more than 5', preferably closer to 3. I spent 2 more hours online last night researching Corns & Balls. The Corns seem to be very easy but other than being picky eaters, the Balls seem to be just as easy.

Another thing that I have to consider is that we have 2 dogs - a 40 lb. Lab/Collie mix and a 12 lb. Shih Tzu. Is the Ball going to be a threat to the Shih Tzu? What makes me is that I bought the Shih Tzu from the shop in December. They knew that not only do we have 2 dogs, we have a SMALL dog! Heck, I take him with me when I volunteer there most of the time. I never dreamed, until my husband mentioned last night, that BOTH dogs would be in danger from the Burm if he got loose and hungry as even a yearling.

Somebody please pass the Advil. My headache is growing by the hour.
    Last edited by melissafred; 08-07-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melissafred
    Is the Ball going to be a threat to the Shih Tzu?
    Somebody please pass the Advil. My headache is growing by the hour.

No a Ball wont be any problem to a Shih Tzu, a burm would have if loose but a ball is harmless to all house hold pets that arent rodents.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

The Ball should be just fine around the small dog. I'd actually worry more about the dog being nippy toward the snake and just generally keep them apart as a matter of course.

I completely agree with Rex's advice to take some time to get all your ducks in a row before finalizing your decision and actually bringing home the next snake. That store owes you at the very least a store credit if not an actual cash refund and a big apology.

Please feel totally free to ask any questions you have about either Corns or Balls here. This forum and it's members are a huge reason why our family is so happy with our choice of Ball (Royal) Pythons. They helped us with real life experience to set up our enclosures, we use Sterlite tubs and settle in both our snakes. One of ours is a rehome and we wouldn't have had the confidence to take on this snake if not for the knowledge that we had the resources of this forum to back us up.

Best of luck. I hope the visit to the pet store goes well tomorrow.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

sounds like a ball python is perfect for you! just dont let the dog and the snake interact and youd befine. ive had my boas by my old cat before and nothing happened. just play it safe and keep them seperated
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melissafred
    I just bought my 12 y/o a 5 month-old albino Burm. Although we've had other pets, this is our first snake.
    Melissa
    I read this 1st sentance and stoped, I don't have anything positive to say but all I ask you to do is read the facts on burm care and then come back and read what you started out with here and ask yourself if you really want your 12/yr old owning one.

Thanks

i have seen burms reach 17 feet and your son forget the dogs your son could be in danger and you should really ask your self if you are even ready to own a snake.and if u definitly are ready to own a snake then try and get a snake liek a ball python a corn snake or even a red tail boa. but i think a red tail boa is like more of a second snake. and yes ball pythons are great snakes and relativly easy to care for and with age should get super docile.( with the right care) i myself would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER own a burm seen weird video clips and nasty pics
    "sleep is the cousin of death"

PRODUCED BY:~DESTROYED YOUTH~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NocturnalBC
    I read this 1st sentance and stoped, I don't have anything positive to say but all I ask you to do is read the facts on burm care and then come back and read what you started out with here and ask yourself if you really want your 12/yr old owning one.
    Well, you should try reading the rest along with the rest of the thread. She was mis-informed byt the pet store clerk.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast