Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

1 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Ambient heat, only?

Has anyone successfully kept and bred on ambient heat alone? I am converting a small room with no windows to my snake room and was curious to see if I can get away with just heating the room and not having to buy flexheat for every rack slot.

Just curious.

Thanks
    yes. all that matters is that the temp in the enclosure is in the required range. How that temp is achieved is irrelevant to the snake.

In 20+ years of keeping pythons, I've never heated an individual enclosure. If you have the luxury of a snake room and a collection of reptiles this will work with, I think ambient is the only way to go.
    Last edited by DennisM; 04-30-2017 at 11:45 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-01-2017),JodanOrNoDan (05-01-2017),ringorock (04-30-2017)

Thanks

Re: Ambient heat, only?

Thanks! That's what I thought.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I am on 100% ambient. It makes life soooooo much easier. Just make sure you get the air in the room circulating. There can be a big difference in temp between the top and bottom of the rack.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

ringorock (05-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I am on 100% ambient. It makes life soooooo much easier. Just make sure you get the air in the room circulating. There can be a big difference in temp between the top and bottom of the rack.
    The room is 6x6x8. It's one of my walk-in closets. I bought an oscillating ceramic heater with a digital thermostat and controls. I plan on putting it on another thermostat for fail safe purposes. I think that should be adequate for a room that small, right?

What is everyone's ideal temp for ambient only heating?
    Last edited by ringorock; 05-01-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I just switched to ambient this year, 1 clutch has hatched so far and I have 10-15 females that looks promising to drop eggs, so I'll see what happens. I did 82 dec-april, and just bumped it up to 86 for the rest of the year.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-01-2017),ringorock (05-01-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ringorock View Post
    The room is 6x6x8. It's one of my walk-in closets. I bought an oscillating ceramic heater with a digital thermostat and controls. I plan on putting it on another thermostat for fail safe purposes. I think that should be adequate for a room that small, right?

What is everyone's ideal temp for ambient only heating?
    I use an oil filled radiator with a ceiling fan moving the air. I have a backup oscillating heater for when the oil filled cannot keep up. I have to make sure the oscillating on is blowing away from the racks otherwise some racks get hotter than others. Your area is smaller than mine which may make the issue larger. Buy a couple digital thermometers and place them in tubs at the extremes of the room (all four corners) and do some test runs without animals. It is my guess with a room of that size you might be better off with a radiator if you can keep it far enough away from the tubs. The radiator seems to use less power also. Make sure your thermostat can handle the pull of the heater. It is my belief that the radiators are more reliable also.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

ringorock (05-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I use an oil filled radiator with a ceiling fan moving the air. I have a backup oscillating heater for when the oil filled cannot keep up. I have to make sure the oscillating on is blowing away from the racks otherwise some racks get hotter than others. Your area is smaller than mine which may make the issue larger. Buy a couple digital thermometers and place them in tubs at the extremes of the room (all four corners) and do some test runs without animals. It is my guess with a room of that size you might be better off with a radiator if you can keep it far enough away from the tubs. The radiator seems to use less power also. Make sure your thermostat can handle the pull of the heater. It is my belief that the radiators are more reliable also.
    The ceramic that I bought runs at 900 and 1500 watts, so I think the 1000 watt rated thermostat will be okay if I run it at 900. Being that the room is only a 6x6, I think the 900 will cover for summer and winter. Because it is a closet, the room as no windows and is insulated very well. I'll also pick up a radiated heater as a backup or vice versa.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ringorock View Post
    The ceramic that I bought runs at 900 and 1500 watts, so I think the 1000 watt rated thermostat will be okay if I run it at 900. Being that the room is only a 6x6, I think the 900 will cover for summer and winter. Because it is a closet, the room as no windows and is insulated very well. I'll also pick up a radiated heater as a backup or vice versa.
    Herpstat sells a 1500watt thermostat made for spacer heaters and such, it's on/off type but has all the other bells and whistles of herpstat, I think it's called the herpstat hp.

As long as it's insulated well, you could probably heat that room with much less, my 1500watt heater does a 10 x 20 without issue

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (05-02-2017),ringorock (05-01-2017)