Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

0 members and 3,164 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Gosh, I would love to own a scrub someday. Does anyone know the various scrub localities (with scientific name) offhand? In Florida, I believe 2 scrub species are on the conditional species list, but that suggests the others are okay.

Yours is BEAUTIFUL! Keep the photos coming!
    Last edited by PiperPython; 05-19-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (05-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Oh that's a shame Redshepherd that she won't let you handle her. Are all scrub pythons this way?
    She's beautiful by the way!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (05-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Pixie the tanimbar scrub python

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Oh that's a shame Redshepherd that she won't let you handle her. Are all scrub pythons this way?
    She's beautiful by the way!
    Not all, there are the rare docile scrubs out there. But for the most part, they have a reputation for being defensive and quick to bite LOL.

thanks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    Gosh, I would love to own a scrub someday. Does anyone know the various scrub localities (with scientific name) offhand? In Florida, I believe 2 scrub species are on the conditional species list, but that suggests the others are okay.

Well, not off hand, but this thread is very helpful! Pretend someone on this forum wrote it haha
    http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum.../topics/610758
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-19-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    She thought it was food time, but then I opened her cage to take pics and it took her by surprise. So she just sat there like this in silence.

This weirdo also decided that burying her head under these leaves is a good idea. She attempted it twice- but the first time, I interrupted her apparently, and she whipped her head back out. The second time is these pics, where she decided to poke her head out the other end after realizing I was there! I have honestly zero idea what she is doing. LOL

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-01-2018),MissterDog (05-30-2018),Reptimom (06-11-2018),Sauzo (05-31-2018),Starscream (05-31-2018),Team Slytherin (05-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post

Scrub pythons are currently divided into 5 closely related subspecies. We still have much to learn about them, as they were reclassified from Morelia to Simalia as recently as 2014, I believe? Feel free to correct any info, friends. As a fellow Simalia Nauta keeper (lover), I am still learning as well! Prior to 2000, the 5 currently recognized sub-species of scrub python were all classified under Morelia Amethistina

Simalia Tracyae - Halmahera scrub python from Halmahera Island. (this one is on my very-much-want list!)

Simalia Clastolepis - Moluccan scrub python from the Moluccan Islands

Simalia Kinghorni - native to Australia, this is the "scrub python" most people think of. It is the largest of the scrubs and restricted from export. I highly doubt anyone outside a zoological society has this species in captivity.

Simalia Nauta - Tanimbar scrub python from the Tanimbar Islands.

Simalia Amethistina - It is likely that this classification will be further broken down in the coming years. For now, there are basically 3 "races" of amethistina: the northern barnecks, southerns (Merauke), and those of the Central Highlands. Like GTP's, when referring to an amethistina, the locality is also named. (i.e. Biak, Sorong, Wamena, Kofiau)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    Scrub pythons are currently divided into 5 closely related subspecies. We still have much to learn about them, as they were reclassified from Morelia to Simalia as recently as 2014, I believe? Feel free to correct any info, friends. As a fellow Simalia Nauta keeper (lover), I am still learning as well! Prior to 2000, the 5 currently recognized sub-species of scrub python were all classified under Morelia Amethistina

Simalia Tracyae - Halmahera scrub python from Halmahera Island. (this one is on my very-much-want list!)

Simalia Clastolepis - Moluccan scrub python from the Moluccan Islands

Simalia Kinghorni - native to Australia, this is the "scrub python" most people think of. It is the largest of the scrubs and restricted from export. I highly doubt anyone outside a zoological society has this species in captivity.

Simalia Nauta - Tanimbar scrub python from the Tanimbar Islands.

Simalia Amethistina - It is likely that this classification will be further broken down in the coming years. For now, there are basically 3 "races" of amethistina: the northern barnecks, southerns (Merauke), and those of the Central Highlands. Like GTP's, when referring to an amethistina, the locality is also named. (i.e. Biak, Sorong, Wamena, Kofiau)
    Yeah! This info is worded in the link I posted, and whoever wrote it added pictures and descriptions too which is super helpful.

Last edited by redshepherd; 05-31-2018 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Lol i've had my snakes do the same with just sitting there with only their head in the hide and the rest of them stretched out in the open. I just look at them and think 'you know, if you were in the wild, you would be dinner for some bird lol'

And for the next pic, i want to see you kiss that scrubby on the top of his head like you see those snake charmers do with cobras
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (05-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol i've had my snakes do the same with just sitting there with only their head in the hide and the rest of them stretched out in the open. I just look at them and think 'you know, if you were in the wild, you would be dinner for some bird lol'

And for the next pic, i want to see you kiss that scrubby on the top of his head like you see those snake charmers do with cobras
    LOL I seriously swear sometimes that ALL of my snakes would be dinner for some bird or whatever if they were out in the wild, including the gtp. Maybe except for Drizzle, because she's so wary and fast at zipping back into hiding 24/7. We have the ones that get picked off early

aahahah yeah, I can't wait to get some luscious blood red lips, just like a celeb!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-31-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Yeah! This info is worded in the link I posted, and whoever wrote it added pictures and descriptions too which is super helpful.

Hahaha, I saw that right after I finished! A super informative post. I am totally obsessed with scrubbies now and have been keeping eyes out for another one. I’ll give it a little time, so I can practice dealing with Apophis when he’s bigger...since it’s likely I wouldn’t get so lucky a second time.

But man, they are fantastic beasts! I’d love to get my hands on a Wamena or Halm if I can find one....even another Nauta would be cool. One came up on kingsnake the other day and was snatched within 12 hours!

But then, on days when Apophis is feeling sassy, I always think, “you’re lucky he’s not 15 feet long.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast