Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

7 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Longer days suddenly causeing feeding response?

So a little info to start, my male bp will be two years old this July. Around last August (500ish g) I started feeding small rats bi-weekly and by December he was refusing food if it was offered before 15-20 days. All winter he has eaten every 20-30 days, shed a few times, and been slowly growing, longest fasting period lasted 48 days. I figured he'd hit his "adult" metabolism. Now he is hovering around 875 grams and just pounded down a 68g rat 6 days ago. He did his typical hide for 3 days to digest then back to normal behavior. However, last night he was super food ready, tracking every move past his cage - I couldn't change his water without a half-hearted strike. He's acting the way he does around feed day. He has not refused since late February.

The only thing that has changed is the light exposure coming in the windows. His white viewing light is on a timer that is set at 8 hours and has not changed. Could he be coming out of a "winter fasting period"? Does anyone else have snakes that welcome spring by wanting more food?

The big question is do I offer food at day 10-15 and see if he's interested, or keep him on the 3 week schedule that he has had all winter. I don't want him to get obese but I also don't want him so food motivated that he strikes when I am cleaning / watering / etc
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Riddle has been eating a small rat every 7 days since coming off winter fast. If your snake is giving you hunger signals, I would feed accordingly.

Thanks

Re: Longer days suddenly causeing feeding response?

Is a 65-70 gram rat every 7 days too much? I know that they can regurgitate if they are fed before they finish digesting the previous one

Edit: just re-read this and realized it doesn't make sense...a 65 gram rat in an 875 gram snake is less of a food to weight ratio than I was feeding as a hatchling using the 10-15% body weight rules
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 04-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much