Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

2 members and 3,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

What should I do with extra hopper mice if BP grew out of it?

Hey guys!
    Well, I went to a reptile expo about 2 months back or so. And I purchased a bag of 50 hopper mice. I was feeding my snake every 4-5 days but now he seems to be a little big for hopper mice. I still have more than 1/2 the pack left and I really don't want to waste it. So, can I feed hoppers more often or should I throw it all away and just get adult mice?

He was born on Oct 2016. And he's about 150-160 grams.

I've read all these posts saying to feed appropriately sized rodents every 5-7 days and because my snakes feeds are a little small, I'm just wondering. lol

Thanks
    i think feeding every 4 days is far too often. I personally find once a week a bit much as well, but that seems to be the norm here. General rule is feed 10-15% of body weight, so you might be able to feed two at a time depending on how much they weigh. Otherwise just buy some adult mice and once he's bigger feed two hoppers

Thanks
    I usually just feed two at one time until the pack is used up, then move up to the next size.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Use it as an excuse to buy another snake! This is obviously the best "solution"

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Booper (04-27-2017),C.Marie (05-16-2017),Craiga 01453 (04-26-2017),DLena (04-30-2017),FNG (04-26-2017),kdraw (04-26-2017),Sallos (04-27-2017),Szhang (04-26-2017)

Thanks

Re: What should I do with extra hopper mice if BP grew out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    I usually just feed two at one time until the pack is used up, then move up to the next size.
    isnt feeding 2 at a time a little too much? i mean like, if i were to add grams of 2 hoppers together, wouldnt it be way more than the weight on just 1 adult mice? you feel me?LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Use it as an excuse to buy another snake! This is obviously the best "solution"
    HAHA YOU RIGHT!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Szhang View Post
    isnt feeding 2 at a time a little too much? i mean like, if i were to add grams of 2 hoppers together, wouldnt it be way more than the weight on just 1 adult mice? you feel me?LOL

This was taken from Big cheese Rodents:

Hopper Mice: Individual Weight(g):7.0 - 12.0

Adult Mouse: Individual Weight(g):19 - 29

So to answer your question, no, it wouldn't be more than the weight of an adult. Winston, my BP won't eat rats no matter how hard I've tried to switch him but he's a friggin torpedo when it comes to mice. I had extra hoppers so I would double feed him those. I spaced out the feedings even though he was eating them like they were breath mints. The other option is if you have any local reptile groups in your area, you can offer them to someone so they don't go to waste.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    This was taken from Big cheese Rodents:

Hopper Mice: Individual Weight(g):7.0 - 12.0

Adult Mouse: Individual Weight(g):19 - 29

So to answer your question, no, it wouldn't be more than the weight of an adult. Winston, my BP won't eat rats no matter how hard I've tried to switch him but he's a friggin torpedo when it comes to mice. I had extra hoppers so I would double feed him those. I spaced out the feedings even though he was eating them like they were breath mints. The other option is if you have any local reptile groups in your area, you can offer them to someone so they don't go to waste.
    oh snap! i didn't know that. Thank you! Now i dont have to waste my hoppers! One more thing.. How do you even double feed :o

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Szhang View Post
    oh snap! i didn't know that. Thank you! Now i dont have to waste my hoppers! One more thing.. How do you even double feed :o
    The 1st meal is fed as normal. Wait a few minutes after they have completely swallowed the feeder or after you see them adjust their jaw. Then you offer the 2nd feeder.

I wait between 15-30 minutes between feedings when I double feed. It's not a hard and fast rule, just what works for me and I do other things between feedings so I'm not hovering over him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

DLena (04-30-2017),Szhang (04-30-2017)