Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

1 members and 3,217 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Switching substrates and humidity tips?

My BP has always had a tough time shedding, and I've tried adding a washcloth to cover the screen her last shed, and misted every day but it was still bad. Today her eyes have turned blue and I'm wondering what I should do? (I'm not asking you to fix my husbandry and temperatures etc, but rather to give me tips on how to increase humidity in her glass tank) she has aspen shaving as her bedding currently and I've heard that some people have problems with it and some don't. I was thinking of switching her to repti bark or eco earth (no paper towels please! I want something aesthetically pleasing) but I'm unsure since last time I switched her substrate from carpet to aspen and she was stressed for days, and I think now would be a bad time since she's already can't see? Is it worth it to up the humidity that way yet to have her stressed out? I spray her tank one or twice a day, and the humidity always spikes right after and then goes down. Also, maybe I should just take her heat lamp off? She has a UTH. Though I've also heard lamps play a role in increasing the humidity. She also has a very large water dish. And a humid hide would do no good since she doesn't actually use them. She usually just wedges her self between the hide and the tank wall. And lastly which is better for keeping humidity? A wet paper towel or aluminum foil?
    Thank you for your time!

Thanks

Re: Switching substrates and humidity tips?

Coconut substrate does hold water pretty well. Maybe try something different and make sure it is very well hydrated? Give her hot side a clean and replace her substrate while she is chilling in the other side. Even if she doesn't end up in the hide the substrate should be juicy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hi. Ya, Some snakes are more stressed than others during shed and the substrate change now can affect her more than you think.
    My snake had issues with bad shedding and humidity also and now its perfect. He takes skin off in one peace.
    I also have a glass tank, screen top, using forest bark or aspen shavings, UTH. I put a normal dump, warm( not paper) towel, above and cover half a tank, also I make two wet and small (cca4cm) balls from moss and squeeze out the excess water, I put one in hot hide and one in cold hide. I dont even have to sprey the enclosure anymore, it keeps it about 70% if it drops, just check the towel and wet it again, also the moss balls
    I don't like to spray the substrate alot cause im afraid of mold, RI.. ect if I make it too wet so I just spray little.
    When shedding is over I use the towel above also on the small part of the screen top and less wet, so it keeps the humidity at 50%
    Also, I cover part of the tank with foil, aluminium or plastic, both works well for me. Surely I leave space for air above as well, the tank has vents on the front so its good..
    Worked amazingly well for me.
    Good luck

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree with both of the other suggestions and will just toss in my 2 cents.

I currently use tanks as well (setting up my AP T10's today when I get home from work). In them Zoo Med cypress mulch, a uth and a light (75W). Have a hide on both sides with H2O bowl in middle under the light. On the screen cover I used a reflectix type product with a hole cut in it for the light to sit directly on the screen.

For humidity, I keep the substrate dampened (it's a really light color when dry and when damp it darkens up and if you use it you'll see what I mean) but not wet/standing water. When she goes blue to shed, I usually add more water to the cypress and also put damp moss in both hides and have had 4 perfect sheds thus far. Humidity levels have ranged from 45-60% (with 60-85% during sheds of course)

I am setting up my AP T10's with Herptopia coco husk based on other members experience and the vlog Brian Barczyk did. Hopefully that will keep humidity as well as the cypress has.

Hope that helps a little - good luck..it's so satisfying when you get that 1 piece shed. You'll get there eventually.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs