Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

0 members and 3,182 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyprus?

Thanks

Cyprus?

I am about to do the regular deep cleaning in my display cages. I was thinking about switching the bedding to Cyprus Mulch. I really don't have humidity issues with the Aspen, but it couldn't hurt and I like the look of the mulch. Anyone have any really positive or really negative things to say about it? All I am seeing in the search is middle of the road stuff.

Thanks,

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Re: Cyprus?

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    I am about to do the regular deep cleaning in my display cages. I was thinking about switching the bedding to Cyprus Mulch. I really don't have humidity issues with the Aspen, but it couldn't hurt and I like the look of the mulch. Anyone have any really positive or really negative things to say about it? All I am seeing in the search is middle of the road stuff.

Thanks,

Dave
    I went from Aspen to Cyprus and I love it alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

So just a 24 hour (not even!) update.

FILSS had some stuck shed and eye cap from her hast shed. Nothing major and I know it happens to all of us at one time or another. This morning after switching her to cyprus as a test case it's all been clean removed by her, so that's good. It feels a little swampy in her tub so I put the hydrometer in there to see what it reads. This might be the way to go for me. Never had any real issues living in NC except when the heater is on full blast during the Winter, but this is a nice step result for me. Going to try it in one of the display cages today. Might be the end of my aspen bedding days.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Cyprus?

All of my enclosures are display. I've been using Cypress mulch from Loews for a few years now without issue. They are $3.00 or less for a huge badge equal to the large Aspen bags.

The size of the pieces are not very consistent. The four bags I have now are very fine tiny pieces. The previous four to those were medium and large with a few XL thrown in for good measure. Sauzo called those sizes "prison shanks". But nothing to be alarmed at. None of the snakes have ever been stuck. The Cypress moves away from them as they crawl.

Lizzy among the "prison shanks".

My snakes are always in and out of their bowls spilling water, so humidity is a nonissue. If they do retreat to their skyhides for 10-14 days during shed, I just directly pour water evenly over a few areas to bump the humidity for shed.

It's very easy to work with.
    Last edited by Reinz; 04-23-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

imhumpty (04-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    All of my enclosures are display. I've been using Cypress mulch from Loews for a few years now without issue. They are $3.00 or less for a huge badge equal to the large Aspen bags.

The size of the pieces are not very consistent. The four bags I have now are very fine tiny pieces. The previous four to those were medium and large with a few XL thrown in for good measure. Sauzo called those sizes "prison shanks". But nothing to be alarmed at. None of the snakes have ever been stuck. The Cypress moves away from them as they crawl.

Lizzy among the "prison shanks".

My snakes are always in and out of their bowls spilling water, so humidity is a nonissue. If they do retreat to their skyhides for 10-14 days during shed, I just directly pour water evenly over a few areas to bump the humidity for shed.

It's very easy to work with.
    Oh wow I had been using the Cypress Mulch you get from pet stores but now I see this one from Lowe's I'm going to buy some today thanks for the information.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Cyprus?

I forgot to add that this mulch is usually very damp. I pre-dry by pouring a bag into a large tub drilled with tons of holes and leave the top left off.

Last edited by Reinz; 04-23-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (04-23-2017),Stearns84 (04-27-2017)

Thanks

That's the stuff that I got too. Really like it so far. Completely agree that it's pretty damp right out of the bag. Guess I'm heading back to get some more today. Really like the look and performance so far. Cheaper than the aspen I'd been using too. For the win! FWIW, my Blue Tongues really seem to enjoy as well.

Dave
    Last edited by AKA Dave; 04-23-2017 at 12:08 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

imhumpty (04-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    That's the stuff that I got too. Really like it so far. Completely agree that it's pretty damp right out of the bag. Guess I'm heading back to get some more today. Really like the look and performance so far. Cheaper than the aspen I'd been using too. For the win! FWIW, my Blue Tongues really seem to enjoy as well.

Dave
    I just bought two bags today.

Thanks

Yeah, you know that feeling when you're going over a thread that you started and you realize that you've been misspelling Cypress for two days. I have that feeling.

Dave

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

imhumpty (04-23-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Do you bake the mulch or anything else to kill potential bugs? I've been thinking of switching but unless I go the Lowe's route it would be too expensive for the amount I go through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast