Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

4 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question How Long Should A Sumatran Be In Shed?

One of my 2016 Sumatrans is shedding for the first time since i've had them and he has had the layer of dead skin on him from head to tail for a whole week. I'm beginning to wonder if he might be having problems. All of my Bloods and Short Tails enclosures get misted down generously daily and temps and humidity are great. Does anyone know how long a baby Sumatran will generally take to shed?

Thanks

Re: How Long Should A Sumatran Be In Shed?

From the first sign to actually shedding, mine takes about 1.5-2 weeks. Usually about 3 days after the haze clears up.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kroberts10 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (04-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Kyle. So, I guess the little guy could have another week to go...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Definitely seemed longer then the Ball Pythons to me !!

He went "blue" pretty quickly, but then cleared up and after that it seemed to take forever.
    Probably 4 to 5 days.

Make sure the humidity is EXTRA high. Also on the ground. That is the one time I allow "moist/wet" substrate. Of course not the entire enclosure, but a good bit of it.

Many people say Bloods/Short-tails often have issues shedding, but my breeder recommended just to dump the water dish and then clean up after shed. I didn't do that, but I did mist heavily until it was all over. After which I removed most of the wet substrate and put new one in there.

Sandor had a perfect 1 piece shed
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (04-24-2017)

Thanks

When my Matrix shed I never even knew she was in shed. I just checked in on her (as I always do at least a couple times a day) and lo and behold her skin was laying in her water dish. The weird part is, that was before I decided to start misting daily and her humidity was only running around 55%. Yet, she had a nice full shed. I've been wondering if generous daily misting might not even be necessary or perhaps harmful? What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    When my Matrix shed I never even knew she was in shed. I just checked in on her (as I always do at least a couple times a day) and lo and behold her skin was laying in her water dish. The weird part is, that was before I decided to start misting daily and her humidity was only running around 55%. Yet, she had a nice full shed. I've been wondering if generous daily misting might not even be necessary or perhaps harmful? What do you guys think?
    I like to err on the side of caution in this case. I "never" mist daily in between sheds. But my enclosures hold humidity well.

During shed, I mist a lot more, sometimes daily. Has never caused any problems yet, and I have always had good sheds. I do check on them daily though, and I do not create a humid "swamp" either. I always make sure the enclosures are kept clean, I'm very particular about it, so I never have a wet, warm and dirty breeding ground for bacteria.

Some people have more ventilation, some have less. So I think its more of an individual thing.

Since its known that Bloods, etc, have a harder time shedding I didn't want to take any chances. I didn't want to make the trust I established go down the drain by trying to help with a bad shed.
    In this case I trusted the breeder, that said to just dump the water dish during this time and refill it. I choose to mist certain areas of the tub heavily, and a couple of times, the snake itself.

Some people do not have a water dish large enough for a whole Blood/Short tail to fit in (esp. as they grow) so I would worry about having it to "dry", even if the "humidity in the air" was ok. Where they come from they are often found in wet areas or near water, so I don't think it causes them any harm. The harm comes from forcing them to be in a tepid, warm, swampy enclosure that may be growing bacteria.. At least that is what I think
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (04-24-2017)