Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,304

4 members and 1,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Question Ball python or hognose

I have had a corn snake for seven years now and I have been looking for a mother snake to have. I was wondering if a hognose or a ball python would be a better "beginner" snake. Also which one is usually good around little kids because my little sister is only 8 and she likes to hold the snakes.

Thanks

Re: Ball python or hognose

Well i have a ball pythkn that is calm around my 3 kids under 4. Once he gets bigger it will be easier for them to handle.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I wouldn't call either of those two beginner snakes, maybe a king or milk snake? If however you're dead set on one of the two, under your circumstances I've go with a ball. I've seen the rare case where a bite from a hog caused a friend a bad allergic reaction resulting in some nasty swelling.
    Last edited by mdb730; 04-12-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I think you'll find either a BP or a hognose would be a good second snake. A King might be great too. It depends on what you want though...

BPs are very docile for the most part, however, there are some rare BPs that just don't handle well.

Hognose are also extremely docile and easy to handle. They are often huffy and will hiss a lot when young, but outgrow that quickly with proper care and handling. Biting is extremely uncommon, but they are a rear fanged animal wild an extremely mild toxic saliva. If bitten, some people experience minor swelling and complications, but nothing major. Biting is their last resort though. They will usually huff and hiss, maybe musk, then possibly thrash around a bit but not bite at all. After that, they may "play dead" by rolling over onto their backs and laying motionless with their mouths agape and their tongue hanging out. After all this, if they are still feeling threatened then a bite will most likely be their last resort.

Kings are known to be a bit nippy when young, but are very easy to handle and extremely docile as well.

It also depends on what type of activity you're looking for...
    BPs are commonly nicknamed "pet rocks" because they spend the vast majority of their time in their hides. They are nocturnal and will explore a bit at night. With proper care, however, you won't see your BP much at all during the day. "A hiding ball is a happy ball"

Hognose are diurnal and therefor very active during the day. They like to explore, burrow, etc... and will be seen more during the day.

Kingsnakes are crepuscular, which means primarily active around dawn and dusk. I've noticed that mine is active when he feels like being active, but he is a fairly active snake. He's the only snake I've ever had that actually tries to climb onto me to be handled when I reach into his enclosure, he'll climb right up my at, even if I'm just going in to spot clean or change his water or something. On the opposite side of that, though, he's a complete jerk when he's going into shed and throughout the process. I just leave him alone when he's in shed anyway.

So, you've got choices depending what you're looking for.
    I have a corn as well, and I think that Kings and corns are very similar, but I personally have always loved Kings, they are my favorite snakes so far.
    BPs are definitely very different from corns, but in a good way. They at SUPER chill. SUPER easy to handle, and usually SUPER docile. Their husbandry can be a little less forgiving than the others though, and tricky eaters are more common with BPs than corns and Kings. I don't own a hognose, but have been around a handful and am currently snake-sitting a hognose. The owner is a friend who bought the snake from another person who got rid of it cause it wouldn't eat. My friend couldn't get it to eat either. So over 6-8 months, this snake never ate. Came to me about 6 weeks ago at 11 grams and about 9 months old, TINY!!! Anyway, she asked me to take him for a while and try to get him eating. Well, I fixed his husbandry, left him alone and what do you know, he ate the first offering. He has eaten 4 times in 4 offerings since I have had him and he is scheduled to eat tonight. I guess my point is, hognose hatchlings and juveniles can be picky eaters too, but with proper care and husbandry you shouldn't have much trouble once you get them started. Something tells me I'm going to end up adopting this little hognose, which will be fine with me!!

Anyway, I hope this all helps a bit! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Nellasaur (04-12-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will depends on your expectations.

Hognose are a little more tolerant when it comes to husbandry, they are very tolerant when it comes to handling, now their size is much smaller especially if you get a male but you can get a female in the 400 grams of course that still small considering a female BP will get 2000 grams and over.

Hognose have a lot more personality, BP are more of a pet rock they are prey but not very active.

I breed both and I like both for very different reasons, BP are the eye candy for me, Hognose they are eye candy too but I enjoy handling them.

Also keep in mind that while Hognose are not prone to bite (never been bit by a Hog now BP I have especially hatchling) they are rear fanged and have a very mild venom with reaction going from nothing to swelling of the finger or arm.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (04-12-2017),Zincubus (04-12-2017)

Thanks

So would ball pythons usually let me handle them? Because with my corn snake I sometimes sit outside with him on a hot summer day and let him love the heat. Do you think a ball python would let me handle him like this? Or do they just like to be left alone? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Ball python or hognose

Quote Originally Posted by Dylkro View Post
    So would ball pythons usually let me handle them? Because with my corn snake I sometimes sit outside with him on a hot summer day and let him love the heat. Do you think a ball python would let me handle him like this? Or do they just like to be left alone? Thanks.
    Ball Pythons ( Royals ) are possibly THE best snake for handling , in my experience ( currently down to 5 Ball pythons ) . They will happily sit on your lap for hours whilst you watch a movie . You can even let them climb all over your shoulders and around your neck as they will never bite and they won't constrict as they're not really strong ..I have mine around my neck sometimes when I'm working at the computer.

They have a bit of a name for being fussy feeders but if you buy a GOOD eater , ideally off a trustworthy breeder rather than a snake store - you'd be fine .

Corns are usually quoted as being the ideal starter snake - they are generally very calm and friendly and are much more active and inquisitive than a Ball python - great to handle but they won't be watching a movie with you

Personally speaking if you have kids - I wouldn't consider a Hognose ( possibly one of the cutest snakes around ) simply due to them being mildly venomous . I see all the comments around the forums saying they 'hardly' ever bite and if they do there's not 'usually' a bad reaction BUT as I know of someone who got bit by his normally placid Hoggie and ended up in hospital for a day or so and suffered for weeks - it's just not an option for people like me who are hyper sensitive . He wasn't hyper sensitive incidentally , I could post a link to his thread showing all the graphic photos of his time in hospital but I won't do obviously .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-12-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Oh yeah, BPs are MUCH more laid back and easy to handle than corns.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

They tolerate handling but over handling a BP can also cause stress, which in turn cause feeding issue.....there is a just a middle between handling and over handling they are all different but they definitely tolerate handling less than cornsnakes, or hognose or milksnakes or other various species.

BP are secretive nocturnal animal spending 80 to 90 percents of their time hiding.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

It's all about common sense really , I'd never handle my Royals / Ball pythons before feeding and you don't handle them after for a while - ideally not until 24 to 48 hours after feeding .

They are nocturnal as previously mentioned but if there a few branches in with them they will be climbing every evening .

Great snakes if you work daytime maybe not so great if you work evenings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk