Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 961

3 members and 958 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

20 gallon too big?

So I don't even know how big the ball python I will be getting is going to be… but will get a very young snake from a breeder. My thought process with the tank size is that if I get a 20 gallon now, and fill it with 2 hides the water dish and then crowd it with fake plants, branches, maybe another hide, etc. that it would be okay even for the baby snake. As it grows I can increase the size of the hides and remove the excess crowding materials and have it in the 20 gallon for a long time (I'm getting a male). Is this okay? And do you guys have any suggestions on how to crowd a 20 gallon tank enough for a baby BP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: 20 gallon too big?

Quote Originally Posted by xman970 View Post
    So I don't even know how big the ball python I will be getting is going to be… but will get a very young snake from a breeder. My thought process with the tank size is that if I get a 20 gallon now, and fill it with 2 hides the water dish and then crowd it with fake plants, branches, maybe another hide, etc. that it would be okay even for the baby snake. As it grows I can increase the size of the hides and remove the excess crowding materials and have it in the 20 gallon for a long time (I'm getting a male). Is this okay? And do you guys have any suggestions on how to crowd a 20 gallon tank enough for a baby BP?

I'm not even sure, because I have a 40 gallon breeder my tank is kind of empty but I have a decent sized hides and I got a branch in there now. It still seems empty.

Thanks
    If you can keep the temp and humidity right in the enclosure, size isn't as big an issue as having tight hides. An undersized hide is a hat, an oversized hide has space in addition to the snake in it
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

xman970 (04-08-2017)