Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

1 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Threaded View

Thanks

Field handling of venemous snakes

Not 100% if this is the right place to ask, but I figure the best knowledge pool is located here ...

At the end of a Cub/Scout camp this weekend outside of Drumheller (Alberta), I learned from one of the scouts that they had both heard and seen a rattlesnake the day before. I was quite alarmed, as I know for a fact that several of the younger cubs (and even a couple of the scouts) would likely have gone to try and see it, likely not realising how dangerous that could be.

This was a risk I had honestly not thought of before, given that Canadians don't generally think about wild snakes, let alone venomous ones. As we are likely to hold camps/hikes in that area again in the future, this is something I will have to consider going forward.

My question is thus: In the unlikely event that a venomous snake (specifically Crotalus viridis, the prairie rattler) must be moved in order to prevent possible harm to a youth, what is the best way to do so, while minimizing risk both to oneself and (more importantly) to the youth? I already know the basics of how not to end up in a situation where you could get bit (and have covered that with my cubs during my last Snake Night), but besides using two hooks, I gather handling of hots is nothing like any of my other snakes or ones I have caught in the past.

Same as what I already know for other wildlife, I just want to be prepared for the possibility, no matter how remote.
    Last edited by das_nooblet; 04-04-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)