Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

1 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Help- humidity in melamine rack

I just built a rack out of melamine and I have the temperature right but I am having issues getting the humidity up. I have the vision v70 tubs, I am using newsprint as bedding, and have the water dish on the hot side, but still can't raise the humidity. Any advice?

Thanks

Re: Help- humidity in melamine rack

What are you using to measure the humidity?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    You could mist with a spray bottle or get a bigger water bowl. In an enclosed rack the size of the water bowl helps tremendously. Also, if your tubs don't have cup holders moving the water bowl closer to the heat source is an option.

You could also use a different substrate. Cypress and coconut are great at holding humidity, but they are more expensive than newspaper. If I were you I'd mess around with the size and location of the water bowl first. That's what I do for my racks. It's usually more than enough to get the humidity over 50% and then I mist when they're in shed.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Thanks
    How? I have never had issues with humidity in my rack (although I did order it online, not build it myself).

Questions

How is the rack designed? Is each tub solo, or are there more than one per shelf? Is it deep, or is it shallow? You're using like the same tubs I have in my rack, is it designed like the reptile basics CB70 3 tub racks? How much of the rack is open?

What is your spacing like? Normally it should be about 1-2 sheets of cardboard, so it shouldn't have much overhead room for air to flow.

The solution could be as simple as adding walls, or front doors, or even swapping to bedding as a substrate. My own water dishes are on the cool side, and in addition I had to drill 4 holes on one side of each tub to control humidity, they point out in the summer to decrease humidity and in in the winter to increase humidity.

Perhaps consider running a humidifier in the room if it turns out there isn't a simple solution
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks
    How low is the humidity, it might not be as bad as you think. You can always use a humid hide when your snakes go into shed so they dont get any retained shed or use a spray bottle.