Here's what happened... I was bringing Mikey to the library to work with kids as I have many times before. He was practicing wrapping my neck like his brother does, and he was doing great. It was about 30 degrees out, so he was staying warm. The library is about 3 miles from my house. I had his carrier with. He fell off my neck, and into the crack between my car seat and my center console. I arrived at the library about 1 minute after that. I looked between the seat and console and encouraged him to come out. He normally comes to me when he is called at home. I put both hands in the crack to try to lift him out, and when he came out I found he was already cut open about 1 1/2 inches on his belly. I grabbed my car first aid kit, wrapped him up and ran to my vet.
When I got there, they said they couldn't help him. I held him for another couple of minutes, and then let them put him down so he wouldn't have so much pain.
What did I learn? I will never travel in the car with my snakes out anymore. I've done it so many times with Mikey and my other snakes. He just slipped off. The parts under my seat are super sharp, and I didn't move it or anything. I will never travel with them outside their carrier again.
Mikey was a very special pale royal. Like I said, he would come to me when I called him out of his cage, he was a snuggle monster, he loved to randomly kiss my face, and he loved to take little dives into my shirt and poke his head out and look at me like I was the best mommy ever. I could trust him in the hands of a 2 year old.
I had him cremated and he's now on my shelf in a velvet bag that says "Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge". The hospital also sent me a card a week later.
Props to the Como Park Animal Hospital and Bob the Vet Tech who dealt with the pile of tears that I had.