Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

1 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Help! Ball Python

So I have made a couple posts concerning my new baby ball python and I have another question. I have her in a 5.5 gallon tank, humidity is kept around 53-57 most of the time. I haven't had her long enough for her to go into shed yet. Anyways I just wanted to know how long I would have before I need to move her into a bigger tank?(I am currently saving up for it now but it is a little more expensive than expected because i need to buy a heat pad and a lid for the tank my nearest petstore has available). Anyways, she is eating pinkies about every 5 days, and I just want to know how long would it be okay for her to stay in there? The hot side is about 85 and the cool side is about 75 ( give or take it is really hard to keeps the temps different because of how small it is, ambient temp is usually 82). I also heard about keeping her in a plastic tub if i cannot get a larger tank in time. How would i go about keeping her in a plastic tub? would i need to put a heating pad on it the tub? poke holes in the lid? I know I asked a lot of questions lol, so thanks!

Thanks

Re: Help! Ball Python

How old is your bp? your tank needs to be big enough for it to stretch out along the length and one side comfortably. 5.5 is okay for a really small baby but Id suggest going up a size before it becomes 3 months old. Mine is 8 months and recently got bumped up from a 10 gallon to a 20 long which is all it will need for most of its life as a male. Females and really old males will need a bit larger up to a 40. I suggest a large plastic bin if you are up for the idea, they are chaper, easier to keep temps and humidity inside and already come with a lid.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    This is a great write up on making a tub work.

A tub will be far easier to maintain correct husbandry in, rather then a glass tank. However, if you do want a glass tank setup, there is also a write up on how to make a 20 gallon long work for you.

Here is the one for the tub. Remember, if you have a very young BP, a smaller tub might be advisable. Or, you need to clutter up the space with lots of hides and fake greenery, etc.

I'm not sure if you are talking about mouse pinkies or rat pinkies. But even a newly hatched Ball Python should be started on either mice hoppers or rat fuzzies. So you can probably bump up the rodent size.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-Basics-*DUW*
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

yes she can stretch out perfectly fine in the tank, and i do want to get a tub, but i do not have a way to poke holes in it? also i only have a sticky uth and am worried it would melt the plastic. i am not sure what she weighs because i do not have anything to weigh her but she is barely a foot long

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndrakeen View Post
    yes she can stretch out perfectly fine in the tank, and i do want to get a tub, but i do not have a way to poke holes in it? also i only have a sticky uth and am worried it would melt the plastic. i am not sure what she weighs because i do not have anything to weigh her but she is barely a foot long
    There shouldn't be any chance of warping or melting the plastic if you use a thermostat to regulate how hot the UTH gets. She sounds like a little one, I'd definitely guess under 100 grams, if she's only barely a foot long. If you have a kitchen food scale, you can use that to weigh her.

Also-- glad to see you bumped the temps

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    you are definitely going to want to up the size of the prey. BPs usually start on hoppers for their first few meals, then move to small mice or rat fuzzies. Pinkies are too small even for a hatchling BP

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    you are definitely going to want to up the size of the prey. BPs usually start on hoppers for their first few meals, then move to small mice or rat fuzzies. Pinkies are too small even for a hatchling BP