Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

3 members and 3,413 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Falling damage? :D

So my BP likes to knock over her accurite all the time. I witnessed her doing it today and I always assumed she was just knocking it over as she crawled around it. I put it on top of her hide (which is flat on top) because if I stick it down in the substrate it reads humidity as higher than ambient since the holes are on the bottom. She's about 204g as of today (she has almost doubled in size in a little over a month!).

Anyway, I finally saw her do it tonight and she was climbing on top of it and stretching out to investigate the top of the cage. I'd say her head got up to about a 10-12" off her enclosure floor with the rest of her body on the ground. Of course, the stands on those things fold up pretty easily so when it gave out she went flopping down onto her hide and the thermometer made a nice slap sound when it folded up flat onto the hide. Anyway I was shocked and worried, but she just kept right on cruising (night-time, she always hides during the day.)

Anyone have a similar experience? Should I worry that she's going to smack herself stupid on the edge of her water dish some night and get injured? As cute as the whole thing was I don't want her to get hurt

Thanks

Re: Falling damage? :D

Quote Originally Posted by audioclass View Post
    So my BP likes to knock over her accurite all the time. I witnessed her doing it today and I always assumed she was just knocking it over as she crawled around it. I put it on top of her hide (which is flat on top) because if I stick it down in the substrate it reads humidity as higher than ambient since the holes are on the bottom. She's about 204g as of today (she has almost doubled in size in a little over a month!).

Anyway, I finally saw her do it tonight and she was climbing on top of it and stretching out to investigate the top of the cage. I'd say her head got up to about a 10-12" off her enclosure floor with the rest of her body on the ground. Of course, the stands on those things fold up pretty easily so when it gave out she went flopping down onto her hide and the thermometer made a nice slap sound when it folded up flat onto the hide. Anyway I was shocked and worried, but she just kept right on cruising (night-time, she always hides during the day.)

Anyone have a similar experience? Should I worry that she's going to smack herself stupid on the edge of her water dish some night and get injured? As cute as the whole thing was I don't want her to get hurt
    Omg, i just had that happen right now!!!!!!! I swear, and yes, i understand what you mean about it reading super high if its stuck in the substrate, i had to move all the substrate around the accurite and now they give me the right humidity, eventhough she likes to know it down, i decided to just leave it flat agains the glass with no substrate around it

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gc99 For This Useful Post:

audioclass (03-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Yeah, they do climb and flop down on things sometimes LOL. If you you want, you could provide her with a branch (or fake branches) like the grapevine branches they sell at pet stores, and she will climb on that instead.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

audioclass (03-27-2017),Dezoruba (03-27-2017)

Thanks

This sounds totally normal for a BP. They love to climb and investigate. I wouldnt worry

My BP loves to climb up high on the edges around the opening of his cage. When he wants down he just flops himself to the floor, usually.
    Last edited by KingNoFace; 03-26-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    0.1 Albino Corn
    1.0 Ball Python
    0.1 Striped California King

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KingNoFace For This Useful Post:

audioclass (03-27-2017)

Thanks

My ball python doesn't do it that I know of, but I've seen my garter snakes choose to flop down from things on their cage because they think it's the fastest way to get down and check out if there's any food. They also do it plenty when they just fail. It's never seemed to bother them at all.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

audioclass (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Good to know, haha. Thanks for the replies!

Thanks

Mine stretches a full foot up and keeps falling, she landed in her water last nite. I was a little worried too but now I'm gonna get her a tree limb or something

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks

You could get something to reinforce the stand too. My concern would be it pinching the snake or them getting caught in it (mostly because I'm a worrier like that). Maybe some silicone to glue to the stand in place? It'll still fall over if they climb on it, but at least it won't snap closed on them.