Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

1 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

What Type of Dimmer I need ?

Hi ,
    I am new here :
    I DIY my new Rack system using the FelxiWatt and thermostat ..
    But I need to fix a Dimmer
    I use a light dimmer .. But not work and the whole electricity of my flat is trip down ( Short Circuits ) and the Dimmer is damaged !
    As I know from the Website ( Bean Farm ) that I need ( Leviton Commercial Trimatron Dimmer)
    But this unsuitable to Our Electricity of 220 Volt / 50 hertz ?
    Anyone can help me ..
    The rack system is not working now
    From Where I can find a suitable dimmer work on 220 Volt / 50 hertz ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: What Type of Dimmer I need ?

You should be able to find a dimmer at your local hardware store. If there are electrical issues, though, a new dimmer isn't likely to fix the problem and you need an electrician's advice, not the advice of a snake forum.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Thanks Eric ,
    I Live in UAE - Dubai and the BP is Rare here and sold in High prices and also the supplies is Not all available here..
    Which encourage me to try breeding BP
    I purchased Some supplies from Bean Farm Website .. The Thermostat from the UK ( Because I don't Find Herpstat or other Thermostat work on 220 Volt / 50 hertz but in Europe they have - I purchased two TS called Microclimate from UK / up to 600 watt / each )
    My Rack is from Acrylic ( plastic clear like glass ) to put some ability to view or exhibit the BPs .
    I attached Some Photos below ..
    The heaters consume too much electricity if they start all in same time which causes the power socket fail ( Damages - Some part is Melt ???!!! )
    When I put the Thermostat ( Alarm released and Not Work because - as per the devise instruction - that the power is Too High )
    This lead me to thinking with dimmer and the above story begin in my last post .
    Now in Dubai is around 25 to 26 C and sometime is 27 or slightly higher .. This - I think - Will not harm my snakes Correct ?!
    Thanks ;-)
    Apologies For my Bad English

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Again, I am not an electrician, so I can't help you there. All I know is that if something is melting, something is very wrong and is putting both the people and the animals in your home in danger.

As for the temperature, 25 to 27 is too low to keep them in all of the time. It will work temporarily until you fix everything, but it will not work long-term.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    In the US this is what we mean by "lamp dimmer":
    https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TT-300...0563006&sr=8-3

They can only handle so much power, the one in the link can handle up to 300 watts. So, you will need to know how many watts the heat in your rack requires when selecting a dimmer. Or, you may need to get one for each rack.

Note that a dimmer just cuts back on the amount of electricity going to the heat tape, it doesn't cause the heat tape to stay at a stable temperature. So, if the ambient temperature in the room increases or decreases, the temperature of the heat tape will increase or decrease accordingly. You want the ambient in the room to change as little as possible.

Thanks

THANKS ERIC ,
    You make me worry about my BP So I dig in the Internet and I found that I connected the Dimmer wrong ! .. I purchased another one and it is Work .. .. Thank you ..
    Dear bcr229 ,
    Yes Exactly .. I purchased one can handle 2000 watt and As I mentioned above I connected wrong until I found the correct wiring diagram in the Internet
    Now it is working .. Just weeks Then The A/C will be work in the flat then It can be work better .. THANK YOU

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eyadinuae For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-28-2017)