Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

1 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

need help installing thermostats

I set up my jumpstart thermostats today and i cannot get the right temperature. How thick should the substrate on the hotspot be? Because i set the thermostat to like 104°f and thats when the (paper thin) aspen on top of the uth is 93 (i have a temp gun) but the glass right under it was extremely hot, so i didnt do it like that in case the snakes moved the aspen and got burned. Right now they are set to 98, but im so annoyed because its hard to get the right temperature, any advice is appreciated

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Thanks
    what's the temp of the actual glass? what is your heat source?
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Thanks

Re: need help installing thermostats

Uth, the temperature of the glass right now was 95, and the thermostat is set to 100°, can the snake lay right on the glass with no substrate there? (Only on top of the uth, rest of the cage with substrate) That would make it so easy to keep the tenp between 90-94°

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You measure the surfce they can touch. That would be under the substrate because they will burrow or move it as needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You measure the surfce they can touch. That would be under the substrate because they will burrow or move it as needed.
    Thank you! I will do that today and theyre gonna be done finally

Thanks

Thermodynamics Principle:
    Every closed system tends to get a uniform average temperature over time. Suppose you have a perfectly insulated box with a uniform ambient temp of 80F, now you add an UTH in one side at 98F, the first thing to warm up will be the wall, then the air will gradually reach those 98F until the box reach it's new equilibrium at 98.
    Now picture the same experiment but let's add an insulation panel in the middle, the box will get to the equilibrium but it will take more time to reach it. How much more time? depends on how much insulation the material provides. Now this is just theory and perfect systems like this don't even exist because there are always loss off energy/heat.

Substrate is just an insulation layer between your heat source and your enclosed system, the thicker the layer the more time it will take to change its temperature. But eventually it will get to the same temp, than your UTH, maybe a couple degrees less because of energy loss.

A solution to your problem could be if you pre warm the substrate no matter how thick and then just set your stat about 4 or 5 degrees higher than what you want the enclosure to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk