Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,278

0 members and 1,278 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Ball python in October/November?

Since posting that I will get my first snake in a week or two, my wife has said she will talk about possibl letting me get a ball python in October or November and then maybe even a RTB in less than two years. She is terrified of snakes, but seems to want to get over that fear. I can't believe it! Maybe her fear is reduced when she sees me calmly holding a snake, then sees me scream at a small spider. lol

Thanks

Re: Ball python in October/November?

Fears are very touchy, my wife hates snakes, but understands that I love them so as long as she doesnt have to hold them/touch them she is cool. Funny thing is though she is warming up to them more and more and for some reason likes the idea of a 12' burm she thinks they are very impressive. Work slowly with the fear and dont press to hard the key to remember is we arent born with the fear it was somthing developed over time and takes time to break.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Maybe it's an idea to help your wife lessen her fear to sit and look at some really outstanding ball python sites online so she can see how very beautiful these snakes are, both normal and morph. We women do love something of beauty. Rather than focusing on the whole snake (which can be intimidating) just focus on it's scalation or something like that.

Also a few visits to a good pet store that has snakes might help. Just being around them, not even handling them at first, may help her feel more comfie before the snake you want to get arrives.

We've found with friends that are not comfortable with our snakes that if we point out the small details of beauty, muscles and movement it helps to focus away from the fear a bit. If we get one of the snakes out we control it's head area and just gently encourage them to simply touch it with one finger. Amazing how many people are enchanted and amazed that it's not "slimy". Also once they see our kids handling the snakes, most adults realize there's little or nothing to be afraid of in a ball python.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I agree with you Joanna, exposure in a nonthreatening way is probably the best way to go. Maybe even going to a reptile show. You can look at all sorts of stuff, but only get as close as you want.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

That's good, that your mom is willing to fight her fear. A BP is a great snake to conquer a person's fear; most of them are so docile. I got my mom, the classic snake-fearer, to touch one of our snakes, so anything should be possible!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

wow i must be like one in a million cuz my mom loves my snakes lol. she is gonna get a giant day gecko soon(at next reptile show ) but yeah i would take her to a reptile show also. or you can try to get her to read a good snake book. let her learn more about them

Brian
    Brian
    1.0 ball python-Reeses(u know the candy)
    0.1 sumatran blood python-shai (i miss you)
    1.0 JCP- spaz

Thanks

Actually, it isn't my mom, it is my wife, unless you are talking about someone else. My mom is afraid of them too, but she doesn't live with us. I am only 19 and my wife is 21, so we may have plenty of time to get her used to them.