Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,142

1 members and 3,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Lots of questions! Handling, dangers, enrichment, lifespan.

Okay I have quite a few questions for some of you pros out there. I've been keeping reptiles for 3 years. I've done tons of research and I do consider myself to be well educated on these animals but I never fail to learn more and more every day. Lately, I've been really concerned in giving the best life I possibly can give my gorgeous Royal python Athena. She's a female, 2033g pastel Royal. I have no intentions to breed her, she's just a really lovely companion. Questions are
    -how do I give my snake the most enrichment, and exercise needed to be healthy?
    -how often to handle?
    - do things like lotion on my hands, oil (coconut oil, baby oil, Argan oil) etc bother her or cause any danger? I take good care of my skin and I worry about touching her after. Even if the product has already absorbed into my skin
    -my current setup is a 40 gallon reptile tank, UTH hooked to a thermostat of 92 degrees, 2 lights over head, one regular light on cool end, one heat lamp on hot end. Kept humid by spraying once a day. Moss and coco husk is used as a substrate. Do I need to change anything? If so please comment!
    -regarding her past medical issues, she has been making noises for awhile. Went to the vet and got a culture recently nothing came up. Is the odd whistle/wheeze normal?
    -any other tips for a healthy, long life for a royal? Thank you!! I know this is a long list but I need the advice and help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Lots of questions! Handling, dangers, enrichment, lifespan.

Also typical life span?

Thanks
    Typical life span is anywhere between 20-35 years if they are healthy. Your snake doesn't really need exercise or enrichment, but handling and taking your pet outside is fine, don't do it more then a few times a week and never right before or two days after meals. I also recently got my first BP, so I know your concerns, lol. I'm not sure about the oils but your set up seems okay. Make sure to feed her the correct size of prey, I was severely underfeeding my boy when I first got him, had him on pinkies/fuzzies when I should have been offering large mice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    Okay I have quite a few questions for some of you pros out there. I've been keeping reptiles for 3 years. I've done tons of research and I do consider myself to be well educated on these animals but I never fail to learn more and more every day. Lately, I've been really concerned in giving the best life I possibly can give my gorgeous Royal python Athena. She's a female, 2033g pastel Royal. I have no intentions to breed her, she's just a really lovely companion. Questions are
    -how do I give my snake the most enrichment, and exercise needed to be healthy?
    -how often to handle?
    - do things like lotion on my hands, oil (coconut oil, baby oil, Argan oil) etc bother her or cause any danger? I take good care of my skin and I worry about touching her after. Even if the product has already absorbed into my skin
    -my current setup is a 40 gallon reptile tank, UTH hooked to a thermostat of 92 degrees, 2 lights over head, one regular light on cool end, one heat lamp on hot end. Kept humid by spraying once a day. Moss and coco husk is used as a substrate. Do I need to change anything? If so please comment!
    -regarding her past medical issues, she has been making noises for awhile. Went to the vet and got a culture recently nothing came up. Is the odd whistle/wheeze normal?
    -any other tips for a healthy, long life for a royal? Thank you!! I know this is a long list but I need the advice and help

1. Enrichment isn't something a ball python really needs nor do they really want imo. A ball python doesn't really care about plants, seeing you when you walk to the tank, etc. They just want proper space, somewhere to feel safe like a hide, proper temps, water, and food.
    2. I personally don't handle too often. At most I kind of just take them out and let them wander or just hang out in my lap under the covers. This can range from 20 minutes - 1 hour depending on how receptive they are to the handling. Some snakes will actually despise being handled and just want to be left alone in their enclosures. Note: You'll generally know oyu're handling too much if the snake doesn't eat all of a sudden.
    3. Not sure about this so I can't answer.
    4. You honestly don't need the lamps or the lights. If your tank has a proper top cover and you've wet the substrate, you don't need to mist once a day. Humidity isn't that big of a deal unless the snake is in shed but keeping a consistent 60% is generally accepted.
    5. What are her past medical issues and what are these noises?
    6. Feed, clean, fresh water, proper temps and humidity and that's about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-Thirty View Post
    1. Enrichment isn't something a ball python really needs nor do they really want imo. A ball python doesn't really care about plants, seeing you when you walk to the tank, etc. They just want proper space, somewhere to feel safe like a hide, proper temps, water, and food.
    2. I personally don't handle too often. At most I kind of just take them out and let them wander or just hang out in my lap under the covers. This can range from 20 minutes - 1 hour depending on how receptive they are to the handling. Some snakes will actually despise being handled and just want to be left alone in their enclosures. Note: You'll generally know oyu're handling too much if the snake doesn't eat all of a sudden.
    3. Not sure about this so I can't answer.
    4. You honestly don't need the lamps or the lights. If your tank has a proper top cover and you've wet the substrate, you don't need to mist once a day. Humidity isn't that big of a deal unless the snake is in shed but keeping a consistent 60% is generally accepted.
    5. What are her past medical issues and what are these noises?
    6. Feed, clean, fresh water, proper temps and humidity and that's about it.
    I keep the lamps on otherwise the ambient air temp goes below 75 degrees. Her past medical issues have been respiratory infections. She's had one before over a year ago. She's been whistling sometimes and I took her to the vet again for a culture but it came back clear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    I keep the lamps on otherwise the ambient air temp goes below 75 degrees. Her past medical issues have been respiratory infections. She's had one before over a year ago. She's been whistling sometimes and I took her to the vet again for a culture but it came back clear.

Gotcha, my bad for assuming ambient temps. As for the RI thing, sometimes just breathing can whistle as when it happens in humans. Other signs to look for are bubbling of the mouth, general behavioral changes, and a sort of resting with their mouth open which is the biggest indicator of an RI.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Everything looks to have been said already soooooo...... Just add some branches and watch her spend hour after hour climbing and even resting in the evenings !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Medduussa (03-12-2017)