Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,907

0 members and 1,907 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Fertility Issues?

At this point I am pretty sure my albino and lavender albino girls reabsorbed again. Has anyone experienced any kind of lower fertility rates for these morphs? I only have these two girls so I do not have a big enough base to arrive at any conclusions myself. The girls are super healthy and eat like pigs most of the year. I know I don't have a problem with the boys because they have been effective before. I threw four different males at the normal albino this year with good locks from all the boys. My het lavender Phantom from RD had many good locks with a male lavender I got from Garrick. That male has a mojave-lesser pregnant and it looks like she will drop any day. So once again, it is not the males. Any input from anyone with data would be appreciated. These girls are driving me nuts.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 03-13-2017 at 12:04 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    From what I understand, snakes building follicles then stopping or regressing is usually an issue on environment rather than inherit problems with the animal. Either not getting enough food, or stopping pairings with the male too early. Only morph that I know of with for sure fertility issues is the desert ghost.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (03-13-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Fertility Issues?

No issue with those, and the chance of more than one of you female having issues is unlikely.

How hold are those females?

Because you see good lock from one or several males does not mean you will get eggs some females take years before they lay their first clutch or may take years in between.

You may also misread your animal and not pair at the right moment (timing is everything )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-13-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (03-13-2017),VIP CONSTRICTORS (07-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    From what I understand, snakes building follicles then stopping or regressing is usually an issue on environment rather than inherit problems with the animal. Either not getting enough food, or stopping pairings with the male too early. Only morph that I know of with for sure fertility issues is the desert ghost.
    Your thinking of desert! Desert ghost has no issues. It's a shame they have similar names, a lot of people are confusing these but they are completely different morphs. Desert ghost is an amazing morph that has no issues and is getting a bad rap because of a bad name choice. It has nothing to do with the desert morph that does have fertility issues. I have a feeling these will continue to be confused. But I'll continue to try to correct people because I plan to use desert ghost in my projects and I sure don't want people thinking it is the same as the desert morph.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    No issue with those, and the chance of more than one of you female having issues is unlikely.

How hold are those females?

Because you see good lock from one or several males does not mean you will get eggs some females take years before they lay their first clutch or may take years in between.

You may also misread your animal and not pair at the right moment (timing is everything )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Phantom het Lavender is 4. She was around 1900 grams at the start of the season. One of the slowest growing animals I have. I have had her for 2 years.

Normal albino is 7. Started the season at 3400. In my care for three years.

Neither animal has ever produced.

All my others that I expected to go and a couple that were maybes went, so it is looking like 8 clutches for me this year with females ranging in age form a single 2 year old to a 10 year old. I started pairing at the beginning of November. I guess I have to train my eyes a little better for these two or get an ultrasound, I just can't justify the expense yet.

I have a het Albino coming in as well as some other stuff. Still looking for another adult het lavender. Hopefully my odds and my eye get better for next season. I REALLY want to produce REL's and my girls are just not cooperating.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Your thinking of desert! Desert ghost has no issues. It's a shame they have similar names, a lot of people are confusing these but they are completely different morphs. Desert ghost is an amazing morph that has no issues and is getting a bad rap because of a bad name choice. It has nothing to do with the desert morph that does have fertility issues. I have a feeling these will continue to be confused. But I'll continue to try to correct people because I plan to use desert ghost in my projects and I sure don't want people thinking it is the same as the desert morph.
    Oops, you're right! Dang hobby and it's 14 bazillion names for one morph and then five morphs that have the same or similar name.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I really appreciate the input guys. The well documented issues I am pretty up on. The possible issues I am looking for would likely only be known by by people who have produced a lot of clutches (which I have not) and possibly not published. The number that I thought could possibly exist would be for a lower number of clutches not for total infertility. As I had feared, what Deborah has said, is probably the case and the problem is most likely me or that these girls just don't want to yet. I thought it might worth asking though since my only contact with ball python people is through this board and the people I wholesale to.