Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

3 members and 3,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Banana Freckling-- Which combos to watch out for?

I'm... Seriously considering getting another baby over the summer. I've been bitten by the ball python love bug. I just can't get enough of these cuties!

I really want to get a female banana/coral glow, but I wanted to make sure that she had some freckling, too, since I love the freckling!

So my question is this-- what gene combinations smother the expression of the freckles/spots of the banana morph? Are there any morphs that actively bring out the spots? In addition, since I know that some morphs will darken or change color as the animal grows older, do the freckles persist even through aging?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Thanks

Re: Banana Freckling-- Which combos to watch out for?

Black pastel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kxr For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-11-2017),Wicked (03-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    From what I've seen it looks like the more genes you mix in the more you dilute the banana gene and erase the freckles. And it seems that some lines of bananas have more or less freckles.

Here's a few photos of my boy, he is about two years old and just hit the 1000 gram 'wall' (he's actually 971.6 grams) and has skipped the last few meals. He is 100% het pied and I plan to breed him maybe this fall with at least one of my pied females to try to get some coral glow pieds. I may end up selling this guy and keeping his coral glow pied offspring. Not sure if the banana line has more or less spots than the coral glow line, but this one has quite a few freckles. Tonight was feeding day but since he skipped his meal again I figured I'd take him out for a photo shoot LOL. I think Coral Glows / Bananas have the prettiest faces and eyes of all the ball pythons. I can just look at the face of a ball python and tell if it has Banana in it.

Last edited by cchardwick; 03-11-2017 at 12:55 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

cayley (03-11-2017),rock (03-11-2017),Wicked (03-11-2017)

Thanks

I agree with banana/CG having the best looking faces. I actually prefer the gene by itself more than most combos. But I've noticed that most of the freckling occurs in the lavender stripes. Sort of like the black pigment was missing at hatching, but slowly starts to appear in concentrated spots making the freckling. So the more you reduce the banding, the less freckling. Some spots do appear in the yellow and orange areas. But are far fewer. I've also noticed that the ones that hold there brightness as adults seem to have fewer spots, where as the ones that dull down seem to have more speckling. Or it's just more noticable since they are overall lighter. I'm not sure if this holds true, but it's what I've noticed in my CG and in pictures of others.
    I'm actually curious if the amount of speckling and their amount of fading with age is carried on, or if it's on a random individual basis. And if the brighter babies make brighter adults. Just some more thoughts to add.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I think it's based on the general animal. I'll take a picture of my coral glow later, he's getting super speckly (I also love the speckles) and he's still I guess around 7 months old. I actually think his dad was a black pastel but it wasn't visual? If I remember correctly. Not sure if that's relevant (I'm not great with snake genetics).

Totally agree with Kroberts10 about the faces too, such cute faces. I think though I have a predisposition. I love my snake haha.
    Last edited by cayley; 03-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Leopard and Black Pastel CG or Banana combos will definitely display a good amount of black speckles.

Hatchling produced in 2016

Sire

Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-11-2017 at 01:06 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rufretic (03-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Leopard and Black Pastel CG or Banana combos will definitely display a good amount of black speckles.

Hatchling produced in 2016

Sire

Thank you for sharing these. Both are very nice examples of what I like in the banana morphs. Now I know to look for one with black pastel in the mix. Beautiful!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Thank you for sharing these. Both are very nice examples of what I like in the banana morphs. Now I know to look for one with black pastel in the mix. Beautiful!
    Thanks those are Leopard CG however
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Another one I've noticed to have the look I like is leopard. I believe any morph you add to banana that has more black will show more speckling simply because that's where most of the speckles appear. I also prefer more of the purple coloring so it's a win win for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Thanks those are Leopard CG however
    Lol, you beat me to it, no wonder I like them so much!😁