Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

4 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beware of scammers, Please read!

I've been seeing a lot of people getting scammed lately, especially on these facebook groups. It's so easy for these scammers to make a new profile and become somebody their not. This can also happen on the forums, so please guys/gals do your research.

If you're not buying from a reputable breeder who is known to be an actual breeder, then buy with caution. On forums, and on facebook groups it's so easy to make a new profile and all the sudden become somebody. Ask around about the person you're interested in dealing with, ask for photos with the current days date and their username or real name written on a piece of paper by the animal. This will ensure that they actually have the animal in question. Next, ask for some photo ID proof, especially if you're not picking up the animal. This will telll you if they're using a fake account or what's going on.

Pay with Paypal, or make sure your credit card will cover fraudulent charges. If you pay with PayPal never pay using the family and friends option. This is basically the gift option that you won't get your money back. Always pay with the goods/services option and state what you're purchasing in the details, along with the shipping date or whatever other pertinent details. If a seller asks for the friends and family payment, I would immediately avoid them like the plague, as that's a huge warning sign. Yes this doesn't charge them the fees, but if that's an issue then I would pay the 3% extra to have my money covered, or I would just avoid on the basis of it's not the agreed upon price. Never send money orders/checks/western union. I advise you to do your research as this hobby is already vulnerable enough.

For instance they have a guy who is scamming in the Louisiana/Mississippi groups named Mark Braud. When he was put on blast by me as he scammed people I know, he used aliases: Preston Lloyd, Core McDaniel, Michael Hawkins. When doing some research on him I saw he's been scamming on pbnation back in 2015 and some other places. He simply became a new person by making a new facebook account.

Now had the person actually asked for a photo ID as proof of who they are, this would of easily exposed him. If I'm thinking of spending money with somebody that isn't a reputable breeder and I ask for a photo ID and they can't do a simple favor as to take a photo of their drivers license then they must not want my business that much.

Hope this helps!
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-10-2017),ccplotner (03-10-2017),JodanOrNoDan (03-10-2017),Kirks_Herps (04-05-2017),Nellasaur (03-10-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Beware of scammers, Please read!

Asking for a picture of ID is great advice. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts
    Since so many people are chasing the "deal" rather than the snake this is going to continue to happen. There are so many legit breeders with great reputations it's a shame that people buy cheap. You can also find lots of ads with extra genetics added that aren't in the snake. In addition, you may get the bonus of mites or RIs or worse. If you're going to chase deals....buyer beware.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Green For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-10-2017),D_ONE (03-10-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Green View Post
    If you're going to chase deals....buyer beware.
    This is true for more than just snakes, and has been for centuries.

I also wrote this up a while ago, and with shipping season starting up for the year it's become relevant again.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...g-Herps-Online

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (03-10-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Green View Post
    Since so many people are chasing the "deal" rather than the snake this is going to continue to happen. There are so many legit breeders with great reputations it's a shame that people buy cheap. You can also find lots of ads with extra genetics added that aren't in the snake. In addition, you may get the bonus of mites or RIs or worse. If you're going to chase deals....buyer beware.
    Right on!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (03-10-2017)