Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

3 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help! Smelly snake!

Hey y’all, I recently got my baby boa about a week and a half ago at a reptile expo. I noticed when I got her home from the expo that she smelled funky. I figured that she had gone to the bathroom and slithered through it. I was hoping the smell would go away, but no luck. I have been leaving her alone except to feed her and check her tub every few days. She has now eaten twice for me, mice hoppers. Her temps are good (78 ambient, 89 hot spot from a controlled UTH), humidity is 60-70%, and she is in aspen bedding for now. When I clean her tub, I am going to replace it with paper. Anyway, her smell is so strong that I can smell her when I opened the top of her hide to pick her up to weigh her. The hide was clean, by the way. Is it normal to have a smelly boa? Is there anything I can do to make the smell go away? Thanks for your help!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You could give her a quick soak, then let her slither through a damp towel. Just make sure the water temps are a comfortable temp for the snake and the soak is supervised in very shallow water (about half the depth of the snake, she shouldn't be fully submerged).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Jessibelle (08-01-2018)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I have never had a snake smell quite that bad, but when one of mine decides to bathe in their own pee, I will do a quick rinse (not a soak) and then a quick shot of vinegar with a spray bottle (keep it away from the head and don't use a lot). Pretty much dispels the funk.

I know, I am breaking all kinds of rules, but I have been doing this for years. I have a nose like a bloodhound and can't handle stink.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2018),Jessibelle (08-01-2018),Team Slytherin (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I have a hunch that what you're smelling is her musk, & that it's not actually from her having slid thru fecal material, as that washes off easily. It's easy to
    forget that boas that are very stressed can musk, as they aren't "known" for doing so as some other snakes are. One of the worst smells I've ever had was
    the musk from my baby rosy boas when I had to sex them... So I feel for ya. Musk lasts longer than fecal odors.

The only other thing I can think of that could smell bad & continue to do so is infection (necrotic tissue): hopefully that's NOT your problem & that you've
    thoroughly examined the snake? You really need to determine what the odor is. (have fun!)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2018),Jessibelle (08-01-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-01-2018),Sonny1318 (08-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: Help! Smelly snake!

Thank you both for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I have never had a snake smell quite that bad, but when one of mine decides to bathe in their own pee, I will do a quick rinse (not a soak) and then a quick shot of vinegar with a spray bottle (keep it away from the head and don't use a lot). Pretty much dispels the funk.

I know, I am breaking all kinds of rules, but I have been doing this for years. I have a nose like a bloodhound and can't handle stink.
    Ugh, I feel the same way!

I forgot to mention that right after I fed her 2 days ago, she went into her water bowl for a soak for a few seconds and back into her hide. I did not want to stress her, so I haven't bothered her since. Hopefully she knew she was stinky and that solved the problem haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have a hunch that what you're smelling is her musk, & that it's not actually from her having slid thru fecal material, as that washes off easily. It's easy to
    forget that boas that are very stressed can musk, as they aren't "known" for doing so as some other snakes are. One of the worst smells I've ever had was
    the musk from my baby rosy boas when I had to sex them... So I feel for ya. Musk lasts longer than fecal odors.

The only other thing I can think of that could smell bad & continue to do so is infection (necrotic tissue): hopefully that's NOT your problem & that you've
    thoroughly examined the snake? You really need to determine what the odor is. (have fun!)
    Oh, I didn't know that boas can musk! That would explain the strong odor since it doesn't exactly smell like her poop. Also, before I bought her, I asked the breeder to sex her, so perhaps she musked then. How long does it take for that smell to go away? I am certain that it is not necrotic tissue or any kind of infection. I thoroughly looked her over when I got her and she appears to be in great health.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    Oh, I didn't know that boas can musk! That would explain the strong odor since it doesn't exactly smell like her poop. Also, before I bought her, I asked the breeder to sex her, so perhaps she musked then. How long does it take for that smell to go away? I am certain that it is not necrotic tissue or any kind of infection. I thoroughly looked her over when I got her and she appears to be in great health.
    I had rosy boas for years & never smelled their 'musk' until sexing one group of neonates & I nearly gagged! I never experienced any from the BCI I had for many
    years either, even though she was very stressed & hostile when I took her in. It's very likely your boa musked from being probed...may I suggest a nice warmish
    bath w/ mild (Ivory) soap, it should wash off.

I mention infection as a possibility too, you never know: careless probing can cause injury & infection, or snakes sometimes get their tails in the way of a container
    that's being closed by someone not paying attention, but hopefully it's not any sort of infection/necrosis. I vote for musk as the most likely, and I'd take musk from
    rat snakes ANY day over boa musk. Even garter snakes aren't as bad.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jessibelle (08-01-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. If it was a King, milk or corn that would have been my first thought, I bet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. If it was a King, milk or corn that would have been my first thought, I bet.
    Yes, kings & milks are some of the "usual suspects", also water snakes & garters/ribbons. Let me tell you, those neonate rosy boas have some powerful defense
    in their tails, though...really hard to forget. ..... Such sweet little snakes too, who would suspect? haha!

Banned
    Thanks

Yes, kings & milks are some of the "usual suspects", also water snakes & garters/ribbons. Let me tell you, those neonate rosy boas have some powerful defense
    in their tails, though...really hard to forget. ..... Such sweet little snakes too, who would suspect? haha!
    Garters too, they're probably most notorious for musking. Never kept them, but been musked on by a bunch of wild garters I've found locally. Those little bodies pack a pretty good odor.
    Hahaha!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast