Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,458

1 members and 3,457 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: My poor baby...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

My poor baby...

Oh I'd forgotten about the handling issue

I'd say that Royals are fabulous for handling , if anyone comes to visit and wants to handle a snake for the first time I always choose one of my Royals as they're just so predictably calm and docile and will happily sit in there hands for as long as they like ( I'm taking minutes not hours lol ) . Sure people say Royals just tolerate handling and don't like it but how can anyone be sure about what a snakes thinking anyways . Presumably all snakes that can be handled just tolerate handling ...

Remember Royals are nocturnal and when we get them out during the daytime they are will be naturally subdued . I don't see anything wrong with you having a short 15 - 20 minute handling session each day , just avoid for 48 hours after feeding ( when they're digesting the meal ) .

I'm done ....for now .

Good luck whatever you choose to do ...

PS

PM me anytime with any questions or queries ... especially any concerns as regards feeding !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-02-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks

Re: My poor baby...

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    My pleasure, that's what we're her for, to help...
    I have no doubt, based on everything I've read in this thread, that you will figure it out and provide a fantastic life-long home for your snake. You don't sound crazy at all, just excited. Who can blame you? You've got an awesome new animal at home!! We all still get excited to bring a new snake home, that's why you see people proudly posting pics of their new snakes, even if they already have/have had several, dozens, even hundreds of snakes. It's exciting because we are passionate about the animals we choose to keep, and your passion is showing in your excitement. Unfortunately, the snakes don't share that excitement and just want to be left alone to adjust, learn how to survive and not be eaten. All they know is how to survive=eat and don't be eaten. They hide to avoid being eaten, and until they are adjusted and feel safe in their enclosure, EVERYTHING is a threat that is trying to eat them, including us. They will soon realize that we are not a threat and develop a trust, but first they must feel comfortable in their enclosure. So be patient, I know its hard, but it is what's best for the animal, and in time will benefit you as well. You will be able to handle your snake regularly while maintaining a safe, healthy environment. As far as snakes that can be handled more, I really don't know if there are any that are easier to handle and tolerate handling better than BPs, maybe somebody else might know more, but I personally don't. I also have an adult Cali King and two juvenile Corn snakes and absolutely love them as well. Both come in beautiful morphs and their husbandry requirements are more forgiving than BPs. They are longer, more narrow snakes and tend to be more curious and on-the-go while being handled, but should definitely be given the same time to adjust as well as handling limitations. My King will often be out for an hour or so at a time, but he's also had plenty of time with me, has proper husbandry and eats like a champ, so he is well adjusted. My BP is still a juvenile (approx. 22 inches and 188 grams as of a few days ago) and has been with me since mid January. I usually handle him daily for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer, at a time. He is doing extremely well, eating like a horse and growing like a weed. I'm actually expecting him to shed today and hoping to get some nice new pictures of his fresh-shed beauty.
    Anyway, keep doing what you're doing as far as questioning, learning and applying. I have faith in you and truly believe your snake is in a great home. We are all rooting for you and here when you need us.

- - - Updated - - -

My pleasure, that's what we're her for, to help...
    I have no doubt, based on everything I've read in this thread, that you will figure it out and provide a fantastic life-long home for your snake. You don't sound crazy at all, just excited. Who can blame you? You've got an awesome new animal at home!! We all still get excited to bring a new snake home, that's why you see people proudly posting pics of their new snakes, even if they already have/have had several, dozens, even hundreds of snakes. It's exciting because we are passionate about the animals we choose to keep, and your passion is showing in your excitement. Unfortunately, the snakes don't share that excitement and just want to be left alone to adjust, learn how to survive and not be eaten. All they know is how to survive=eat and don't be eaten. They hide to avoid being eaten, and until they are adjusted and feel safe in their enclosure, EVERYTHING is a threat that is trying to eat them, including us. They will soon realize that we are not a threat and develop a trust, but first they must feel comfortable in their enclosure. So be patient, I know its hard, but it is what's best for the animal, and in time will benefit you as well. You will be able to handle your snake regularly while maintaining a safe, healthy environment. As far as snakes that can be handled more, I really don't know if there are any that are easier to handle and tolerate handling better than BPs, maybe somebody else might know more, but I personally don't. I also have an adult Cali King and two juvenile Corn snakes and absolutely love them as well. Both come in beautiful morphs and their husbandry requirements are more forgiving than BPs. They are longer, more narrow snakes and tend to be more curious and on-the-go while being handled, but should definitely be given the same time to adjust as well as handling limitations. My King will often be out for an hour or so at a time, but he's also had plenty of time with me, has proper husbandry and eats like a champ, so he is well adjusted. My BP is still a juvenile (approx. 22 inches and 188 grams as of a few days ago) and has been with me since mid January. I usually handle him daily for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer, at a time. He is doing extremely well, eating like a horse and growing like a weed. I'm actually expecting him to shed today and hoping to get some nice new pictures of his fresh-shed beauty.
    Anyway, keep doing what you're doing as far as questioning, learning and applying. I have faith in you and truly believe your snake is in a great home. We are all rooting for you and here when you need us.
    We looked at the corn snake while we were at the pet store also but the sales clerk said as they get older you have to transition them to live feed. We were told with balls, you can continue to feen frozen as long as they will eat them. I have issues with feeding live. I hate to see things die. Yes I understand it's all part of nature, no I'm not an animal rights nutcase. It's a personal thing with me. I can't do it. If I could find someone willing to come feed him for me, I'm fine with that. I would supply whatever was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ckrumn View Post
    We looked at the corn snake while we were at the pet store also but the sales clerk said as they get older you have to transition them to live feed. We were told with balls, you can continue to feen frozen as long as they will eat them. I have issues with feeding live. I hate to see things die. Yes I understand it's all part of nature, no I'm not an animal rights nutcase. It's a personal thing with me. I can't do it. If I could find someone willing to come feed him for me, I'm fine with that. I would supply whatever was needed.

Live feeding is really not that bad. I have always apologized to the prey before sending them off to the snake enclosure. Fortunately, the snake kills them very quickly. I used to breed my own rats so I knew they were well fed and had a good life.

Where do you live? I'll come throw a rat in there for ya haha.

Anyway, try to relax. You have the new owner worries. Everyone gets them. I got them. I made tons of rookie mistakes when I got my first BP. You are doing just fine.

~Steffe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-02-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Live feeding is really not that bad. I have always apologized to the prey before sending them off to the snake enclosure. Fortunately, the snake kills them very quickly. I used to breed my own rats so I knew they were well fed and had a good life.

Where do you live? I'll come throw a rat in there for ya haha.

Anyway, try to relax. You have the new owner worries. Everyone gets them. I got them. I made tons of rookie mistakes when I got my first BP. You are doing just fine.

I'm south of Houston in Texas. Please feel free to stop over anytime to feed my baby. I'm sure the first time is the hardest and it probably gets easier the more you do it, but I can't bring myself to that point yet. I won't let him starve. I will do it as a last resort. If he don't eat Sunday when he's scheduled for a feeding, I'm going to get him a live mouse/rat. Sunday puts him three weeks without feeding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ckrumn For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (03-02-2017)

Thanks

You don't have to feed any snakes LIVE in my humble opinion .... that's just my take on things but we simply don't live feed in the U.K. , of course .

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Dumdum333 (03-02-2017),Kaorte (03-02-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    You don't have to feed any snakes LIVE in my humble opinion .... that's just my take on things but we simply don't live feed in the U.K. , of course .

Is that a rule of sorts over there or preference?? I'm just curious. You don't have to answer.

Thanks

My poor baby...

As regards feeding thawed mice / rats I've no idea what you've been doing but there are so many ways to get them feeding , don't just resort to live feeding without trying a few different ways . There's no really way back once they're programmed for live ..

I wasn't going to bombard you with any more info until you've sorted his shed out BUT :-

This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm , continue until it's grabbed ...
    I always wait until evenings to feed as they're nocturnal of course .

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Ta da ... My pair of HC Albino Royals , synchronised feeding on thawed .

Last edited by Zincubus; 03-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

It seems to me that you took the advice of ONE individual, and from the sounds of things, not a well educated or experienced individual. This is why research takes time. If that guy told you that at a certain age corns will only eat pickles would you believe him? Prob not, you'd probably google "do snakes eat pickles?" to find the facts. My point being, do some homework, research before buying and eliminate the myths and headaches. Definitely a learning experience, which is a good thing. You'll know when/if you are ready for another snake, you'll have the enclosure all set up and ready to go before bringing the snake home, and you'll have less stress and headaches and more time to enjoy the snake.
    So, you've really done nothing wrong to this point, you just didn't know. Maybe you've just created a minor setback, but that's ok. We ALL make mistakes at some point.
    I've never heard that corns will only eat live, and I also prefer not to feed live. I prefer the safety of F/T as well as the convenience over live. I also personally don't care to see/hear the mouse/rat die if I don't have to. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose. I love all animals and also understand nature, so I choose to feed F/T. That being said, like I mentioned in a previous post, I own two corns and a King (both colubrids with very similar requirements) and have no plans to switch from F/T prey at any point in their lives. If that was a prerequisite, I would have chosen different animals.
    But, we got off track a bit (my fault, sorry)...Just keep doing what you're doing with your snake and he will be fine. He will most likely need some help with this shed, but with adjustments should be ready for a healthy, one-piece shed in no time. In the meantime, give him the time like you are and get a few meals in him and he should be god to go moving forward.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Thanks

Is that a rule of sorts over there or preference?? I'm just curious. You don't have to answer.

It may well be illegal , I'm not 100% certain ...

It's just not accepted or even talked about in snake circles or forums , I'm sure the odd one or few DO feed live behind closed doors . Pretty sure the RSPCA take action when alerted .

Best ask Dr Del on in here he's more knowledgeable and experienced on snakey matters tbh

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (03-02-2017)

Thanks

[QUOTE=craigafrechette;2511553]It seems to me that you took the advice of ONE individual, and from the sounds of things, not a well educated or experienced individual. This is why research takes time. If that guy told you that at a certain age corns will only eat pickles would you believe him? Prob not, you'd probably google "do snakes eat pickles?" to find the facts. My point being, do some homework, research before buying and eliminate the myths and headaches. Definitely a learning experience, which is a good thing. You'll know when/if you are ready for another snake, you'll have the enclosure all set up and ready to go before bringing the snake home, and you'll have less stress and headaches and more time to enjoy the snake.
    So, you've really done nothing wrong to this point, you just didn't know. Maybe you've just created a minor setback, but that's ok. We ALL make mistakes at some point.
    I've never heard that corns will only eat live, and I also prefer not to feed live. I prefer the safety of F/T as well as the convenience over live. I also personally don't care to see/hear the mouse/rat die if I don't have to. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose. I love all animals and also understand nature, so I choose to feed F/T. That being said, like I mentioned in a previous post, I own two corns and a King (both colubrids with very similar requirements) and have no plans to switch from F/T prey at any point in their lives. If that was a prerequisite, I would have chosen different animals.
    But, we got off track a bit (my fault, sorry)...Just keep doing what you're doing with your snake and he will be fine. He will most likely need some help with this shed, but with adjustments should be ready for a healthy, one-piece shed in no time. In the meantime, give him the time like you are and get a few meals in him and he should be god to go moving forward.[/QUOTE

well I think we have the feed thing figured out. At least I have been given some great advice on when and how to feed. We have decided to feed at night in a lowlight area only by me. We were feeding middle of the day with everyone watching. I have a separate feeding tank for him as well. I was thawing his food in warm water but only bringing it to room temp. The plan is to do as you and others have suggested and heat it up with a hairdryer first. How will I know if it's over heated?? I don't want to burn him. Can I use a food thermometer for checking temp??

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast