Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,291

4 members and 2,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User enoughbubbles456's Avatar
    Thanks

My snake just died:'(

Unfortunately on Friday morning I found my little guy Casper motionless in his cage.

He hasn't been eating since July last year, I offered him a rat every week but he just kept refusing. I tried offering him rats/mice/chicks but he wasn't interested.

He has also been struggling with mites since I got him, I tried mite off and it did work but he just kept getting them back.
    I was also busy most of the time so I did miss a few treatments.
    I just thought mites weren't as bad as I imagined, but I have proven myself 1000x wrong and i'm gutted my Casper had to go through all that pain because of my stupid mistake.

I've definitely learned from this awful incident

I'm going to make sure that none of my snakes ever get mites. I'm going to order two cans of Callingtons mite spray so I don't have to wait longer than the snakes need to if they ever get mites, spray their cage monthly/every 2 months so they don't have the chance to get them.

I just wished that I hadn't been so stupid.

I really don't know what caused the dead tbh, would the mites have made him anaemic or caused him to lose a lot of blood?? Plus having no food, he would of been very week you would have thought? But he was exploring his cage most nights even up to his death. I would of thought he would of been very weak and never active, but that wasn't the case.

This is a picture just after I found him, he had some sort of indent/groove in his neck and I have no idea what it is or what caused it:

🙁😔

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Sounds to me that he probably starved to death because he never felt secure/comfortable enough to eat. You have learned a hard lesson. You cannot fix this in any way but you can make sure it never, ever happens again.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-01-2017),WintersSerpentine (03-01-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't know what caused the dead tbh, would the mites have made him anaemic or caused him to lose a lot of blood?? Plus having no food, he would of been very week you would have thought? But he was exploring his cage most nights even up to his death. I would of thought he would of been very weak and never active, but that wasn't the case.
    Yes it can be a combination of both especially if the animal was very young and did not eat for that long.

While a snake that is healthy and has a good body weight can spend months without food, it would not be true for a hatchlings that had mite issue on the top of it.

Ultimately no one can tell you for certain except your vet by doing a necropsy.

And in the future (if you get another animal) keep in mind that mite off does not work as it only treat the adult stage not the eggs, only PAM (Provent a mite) and similar product that treat all stages work.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-01-2017),enoughbubbles456 (03-01-2017),JodanOrNoDan (03-01-2017),Merriah (03-01-2017),WintersSerpentine (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: My snake just died:'(

So sorry for the loss. Mites are the scourge of all ball pythons and snakes bc of the myriad of diseases they cause. They can definitely be the cause of death in many a reptile. This is why it's so important to eradicate them at all levels quickly and completely. You did the best you could under the circumstances. We live and learn from our experiences along the way. My condolences again for your loss.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-01-2017),enoughbubbles456 (03-01-2017),WintersSerpentine (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sorry For your loss

The groove you see on his neck is his esophagus. It's not really actually protruding, it looks that way from weight loss.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

So sorry for your loss :'( i actually feel bad

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My condolences. Just work hard to ensure this doesn't happen again. Hard lesson to learn.
    Streller
    1.0 Normal - Poseidon - Adult
    0.1 Lesser YB - Amphitrite - Adult

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

[

🙁😔

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The indent you see goes along the Belly Scale change... When a belly is sucked in that is ussually starvation. I dont know how long you owned the snake, how often he ate before July, how old it was or any History to get a idea.. But Mites can overcome a snake. They live off of them and if they kept coming back because you were working and didnt get to all the treatments I think you've answered what happened.. Snakes will also go Off feed because if Mites. Im not a Vet but it sounds like this could have been avoided like you mentioned in your post... Thats a shame. The minute our lives do not allow us to take care of those dependent on us is when we need to think about adopting them out to someone that has the time to take care of them.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    So sorry you had to learn this way. My young BP also has mites but luckily he's been eating. Ivermectin spray is the best mite treatment IMHO based on my other reptile experiences with mites. Did he have access to clean water? Was he drinking regularly? My condolences, but hopefully now it won't happen again.

Registered User enoughbubbles456's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Sounds to me that he probably starved to death because he never felt secure/comfortable enough to eat. You have learned a hard lesson. You cannot fix this in any way but you can make sure it never, ever happens again.
    He must of been comfortable at first because he ate twice, but then just lost interest the third week.

I'm definitely never going to let this happen again. I'm pretty upset that I even let it get this far.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast