Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

5 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Sudden Death after Shed

I have bought a hatchling normal ball python i had her for 1 month only and it was her first shed and i leave her be because i go to school when i arrive home i changed her water dish with new water and then when i returned her water dish she suddenly choked and i was waiting for 30 min. for her to relax because i don't want to stress her out so i just leave her and comeback after 30min and after i saw her lying on her back half dead an i suddenly realize her stomach bloated so i helped her out and i was to late and she eventually died.

please comment down whats your ideas why that tragedy happens to her

i miss her

Registered User dissolvetheair23's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sudden Death after Shed

Quote Originally Posted by gilsterkid View Post
    I have bought a hatchling normal ball python i had her for 1 month only and it was her first shed and i leave her be because i go to school when i arrive home i changed her water dish with new water and then when i returned her water dish she suddenly choked and i was waiting for 30 min. for her to relax because i don't want to stress her out so i just leave her and comeback after 30min and after i saw her lying on her back half dead an i suddenly realize her stomach bloated so i helped her out and i was to late and she eventually died.

please comment down whats your ideas why that tragedy happens to her

i miss her
    A little bit more detail would help. Is the husbandry on point, what did she eat and when, when has she gone poop, any signs of lethargy, any mucus or excessive saliva in mouth. Many factors can play into the unfortunate death of your poor little noodle. You mention that the snake looked bloated and also thay she choked please explain this since its hard to picture a snake choking and what was it choking on. Or whas it gaping its mouth and stargazing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dissolvetheair23 For This Useful Post:

montymiow (03-04-2017)

Thanks

Re: Sudden Death after Shed

Firstly, sorry for the loss of your baby. It's always hard no matter which living thing it is.
    As dissolvetheair23 mentioned if you could give us some more details regarding temps, humidity ect, when did he last feed? Unfortunately all anyone can do is guess, the only way of truly knowing is having a vet perform a necropsy (which the snake should be placed in fridge until such time).
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Thanks
    I'm so so sorry this happened to you its always sad losing a pet...

As the others have mentioned, some more info about how she was being kept would help us help you figure out what may have happened. When was she last fed? Do you feed frozen thawed or live? If she is fed frozen thawed, how do you thaw the rat/mouse? What kind of substrate was she kept on? What are the tank temperatures? How the heat is regulated and what appliance you use for heating (UTH, CHE, heat bulb, etc)? If she had a bowel movement in her time with you, when was it and did it look normal?

I know we're pounding you with questions but it would help us gain insight into what did or didn't kill your animal. Of course, it's all speculation without a necropsy at the vet.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 03-04-2017 at 02:51 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

montymiow (03-04-2017)