Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

4 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Betadine/water solution for mites?????

just reading about treating a snake for mites and i see were u can soak your snake in water with betadine (povidone-iodine) solution. i have an appointment on monday for my bp to see a vet. should i try this in the meantime or just wait. I have only found one mite/tick on the snake so far, but i did notice a ver very small "dot" in one of the heat pits of my snake and it was moving around. lastly, is betadine something u can get over the counter? it also says to dab mineral oil over the snakes eyes and pits after it is done soaking.

Thanks

Re: Betadine/water solution for mites?????

Sounds like you need to invest in some Provent-A-Mite. Here's a link to the stuff.

http://www.mgreptiles.com/proventmite.html

Mites and ticks lay lots of eggs, so although you only see one now.....You may being some more in the future. If you think you saw a very small dot moving, you probably have mites too. I wouldn't try the mineral oil thing. Soaking will not get rid of mites, you'll need something to kill them and the eggs in your cage. Hygiene will be important during and after you start treating them. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Betadine/water is worthless for mites .... It may rinse the mites off of your snake, but it won't kill their eggs. Many many years ago, keepers used it as a method for treating them, but now we know better.

Like Christie said ... Provent -a- Mite is currently the most effective method for treating mites.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

How can a captive snake get ticks?

Thanks

I use betadine solutions when soaking my snakes but as said its not exactly the way to get rid of mites. Its a dissenfectant(sp).
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by age
    How can a captive snake get ticks?
    aparently from the breeder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Betadine/water is worthless for mites .... It may rinse the mites off of your snake, but it won't kill their eggs. Many many years ago, keepers used it as a method for treating them, but now we know better.

Like Christie said ... Provent -a- Mite is currently the most effective method for treating mites.

-adam
    betadine solution is supposed to be used when treating mites for the healing aspect. its an anti septic.mites bites. that causes wounds. u need to treat wounds or else they can get infected. thats why you use betadine. all these ppl talking bad about it has me shaking my head.....

Thanks

the exact same way a wild snake gets them! ticks, mites are everywhere. they can come in your house and get them

- - - Updated - - -

i think mostly pet stores since they likely come from highly populated herp areas

Thanks

I only had one run in with mites a few years ago (and I hope to never have one again). I skipped all my classes that day to clean cages, and my room in general. I used the betadine/water solution to kill existing mites and give some relief to my snake. I didn't need to use the prevent a mite solution because I caught on to the mites quickly, but I kept it on papertowels for a few months to keep an eye out. One thing people sometimes underestimate is the ubiquity of arthropods like mites. They are everywhere and anywhere and have countless species. Some aren't parasitic, some are very exclusive in their hosts, and some probably have a level of versatility. A snake with a complacent owner will eventually pick something up, just like any animal...especially humans!

milldabeast is exactly 100%. Pet stores are like elementary schools in how much pathogens come and go. And don't get me started on reptile shows. (i'll probably get flack for that)
    Last edited by nachash; 03-24-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1