Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,451

2 members and 3,449 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Gerald Super Dwarf Ultra Ivory Retic Progression

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Little dude in a rat coma. I opened the door to get a glare free shot and he just lifted his head and looked at me like “why the hell man?! Can’t you see I’m napping here?!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's awesome!
    I'm hesitant to open the door with Wallace. The last two times I've tried, he's come off his bite, kept the prey in constriction and looked to go at me like there is more coming. He's unapproachable for about a day after he eats unless I really use the hook. I have to use it to the point of him trying to go the other direction. Otherwise he's in food mode for about a day then pulls the Gerald coma LOL!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Gerald Super Dwarf Ultra Ivory Retic Progression

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    That's awesome!
    I'm hesitant to open the door with Wallace. The last two times I've tried, he's come off his bite, kept the prey in constriction and looked to go at me like there is more coming. He's unapproachable for about a day after he eats unless I really use the hook. I have to use it to the point of him trying to go the other direction. Otherwise he's in food mode for about a day then pulls the Gerald coma LOL!
    Hahaha sounds about like this guy! I have to leave him alone with his prey until he starts to swallow it or he gets distracted by my presence and looks for more food at the doors. He also likes to strike at the heat panel and the doors if I make any fairy sudden movements right after eating. Other than feeding responses he’s never struck at me though. One tap of the hook and he changes his tune pretty quickly. I really need to look into getting him at least a taller cage as trying to get him out of a 12” tall enclosure can be annoying sometimes. Dude moves like a freaking racer more than a retic. Two or three, maybe four days after feeding at the very most is the only time this guy sits still. He’d be quite the entertainer in a tall cage decked out with perches and a sky hide. He’d be fine in a 4’ long cage but if I stay with that length I’d like to go 30” deep and 24” tall. Obviously he’d do great in a 6 footer but I have to wait on hearing back from some job interviews here and in Oregon and such before I can seriously consider pulling the trigger on new large scale enclosures. When I do though I’m probably gonna bite your cage design pretty hard to be honest hahah!

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Hahaha sounds about like this guy! I have to leave him alone with his prey until he starts to swallow it or he gets distracted by my presence and looks for more food at the doors. He also likes to strike at the heat panel and the doors if I make any fairy sudden movements right after eating. Other than feeding responses he’s never struck at me though. One tap of the hook and he changes his tune pretty quickly. I really need to look into getting him at least a taller cage as trying to get him out of a 12” tall enclosure can be annoying sometimes. Dude moves like a freaking racer more than a retic. Two or three, maybe four days after feeding at the very most is the only time this guy sits still. He’d be quite the entertainer in a tall cage decked out with perches and a sky hide. He’d be fine in a 4’ long cage but if I stay with that length I’d like to go 30” deep and 24” tall. Obviously he’d do great in a 6 footer but I have to wait on hearing back from some job interviews here and in Oregon and such before I can seriously consider pulling the trigger on new large scale enclosures. When I do though I’m probably gonna bite your cage design pretty hard to be honest hahah!

I love the 6 foot by 30 inch deep by 2 feet tall! Reaching in is much, much easier for sure.

Despite what appears to be very involved and difficult to clean, this cage is probably the most simplistic unit here. Just one hide, and a huge water bowl that occupy the floor. The bowl is giant and really adds humidity to the cage. I really don't feel the need to clean the perches unless they get soiled with waste. I've not once had a mold issue with anything in the cages, or any sanitary issues. I change the water, clean all waste at first sight and change the substrate every 6 months. I spot clean and remove it and add it more frequently but total change outs are twice a year.

I love the Tiger pattern and Wallace, love it, but can't but help thinking what a bright animal like Gerald or Caesar would look like in this cage. My guess is incredible.

For retics on the smaller end, 7-10 feet with SD or Dwarf girth, I think this size cage and setup is really slick. Its very fun to watch them behave like wild snakes, even if the self made environment is only my interpretation of their true habitat.

I get the same colubrid running response from Wallace. I know my carpet has an extra gear, but these SD x Dwarf retics are like lightning.

I look forward to you getting set up the way you want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I love the 6 foot by 30 inch deep by 2 feet tall! Reaching in is much, much easier for sure.

Despite what appears to be very involved and difficult to clean, this cage is probably the most simplistic unit here. Just one hide, and a huge water bowl that occupy the floor. The bowl is giant and really adds humidity to the cage. I really don't feel the need to clean the perches unless they get soiled with waste. I've not once had a mold issue with anything in the cages, or any sanitary issues. I change the water, clean all waste at first sight and change the substrate every 6 months. I spot clean and remove it and add it more frequently but total change outs are twice a year.

I love the Tiger pattern and Wallace, love it, but can't but help thinking what a bright animal like Gerald or Caesar would look like in this cage. My guess is incredible.

For retics on the smaller end, 7-10 feet with SD or Dwarf girth, I think this size cage and setup is really slick. Its very fun to watch them behave like wild snakes, even if the self made environment is only my interpretation of their true habitat.

I get the same colubrid running response from Wallace. I know my carpet has an extra gear, but these SD x Dwarf retics are like lightning.

I look forward to you getting set up the way you want.
    That’s one of the things I really like about your enclosures. They look complex and naturalistic but designed in a very manageable, easy to clean fashion. That size cage would be perfect for Gerald but I’d feel guilty about getting him a bigger cage than Phyllis has. Especially considering she’s about 3-4x his body mass. We’ll get things sorted out in time. He’s fine in that T8 for now but I know he would use all the height I can offer him when I get the chance

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Just get Phyllis an AP T65 and give Gerald the T25. Heck i might end up getting Caesar a T65 end of the year.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 05-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Just get Phyllis an AP T65 and give Gerald the T25. Heck i might end up getting Caesar a T65 end of the year.
    Man I’d love to but I just don’t have the space for 8’ cages currently. Been eyeing them up on AP website though. If they could do a two part cage like Gio has for Wallace I’d be all over it, so much easier to move and cheaper to ship. Whatever I end up getting for Gerald will land me in some trouble though, because then I’ll have the empty T8 and we all know what happens when we’ve got empty cages sitting around

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-11-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

Man I’d love to but I just don’t have the space for 8’ cages currently. Been eyeing them up on AP website though. If they could do a two part cage like Gio has for Wallace I’d be all over it, so much easier to move and cheaper to ship. Whatever I end up getting for Gerald will land me in some trouble though, because then I’ll have the empty T8 and we all know what happens when we’ve got empty cages sitting around

You know i was thinking about that too and was going to talk to Ali about bolting 2 cages together. I was thinking more of bolting 2 T25s to make a 12 foot cage lol. I was going to ask her if they can cut 2 sides mirrored to each other so they bolt to to each cage like they normally do but then they line up with something like a 22x10 inch opening and then just drill 8 holes(1 in each corner and 1 between each corner) and use something like bolts and buts or even wing nuts with bolts to hold them together and then just lexan the gap all the way around. The biggest thing is i was wondering is if AP can make a custom 12 foot stand. If so, they could just order 6 AP 25s and make 3 12 foot cages that are stackable.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks

This dude just weighed in at like 8-8.5lbs. Had no idea he’d put on that much mass recently. Granted, he’s got some sausage butt from a jumbo rat but those are like 350grams at best.

Also has not been too keen on his hide for a week or two. Likes to cram between it and the wall. Such a strange animal

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-22-2018 at 12:26 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-11-2018),Sauzo (05-22-2018),Stearns84 (05-22-2018)

Thanks
    Lol yeah, Caesar is crammed between the hide and his back wall.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

LOL. They do what they like when they like. I think rainbow plays with her hide. She moves it. Lays in it. Lays on it. Flips it over and lays in it. Lays around it and behind it. They are interesting for sure.

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast