Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

1 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Lightbulb Hatchlings Kept Together?

Hey guys,
    about two weeks ago I got a female rosy boa (60g) and am keeping her in a 20 long with 88-90 warm side and around 80 cool side. I purchased a ball online today (hatchling male 80g) and am wondering if given enough hides they could be okay in the same enclosure together. I know it is not good to keep snakes together due to stress, let alone different species but I figured I would like to hear your input given they are hatchlings in an enclosure way too large for them normally. The humidity is currently 50%.

Thanks
    Nope. They cannot be housed together. Period.

Not only must all new snakes be quarantined as far away from each other as practical, rosy boas and ball pythons have vastly different needs. Your rosy will benefit from the lower humidity of a screen-topped tank (in fact, it's okay if her temps are a little lower, as well -- an 80 degree cool side is a bit much for a rosy). Rosy boas, of course, do poorly with high humidity. Lower is better for them. Your ball python, meanwhile, will require humidity that is higher and more consistent than a screen-top can provide -- a tub with an under tank heater on a thermostat is an awesome setup for a BP.

If that wasn't enough of a reason, odds are incredibly good that the rosy boa will attempt to bite and constrict the BP around feeding time, or whenever she thinks it's feeding time. Unless something is wrong, or it's slowing down for winter, a rosy tends to think with its stomach.

Even if they weren't such different species with different needs, quarantine is still a must. Ideally, in a different part of the house, for a bare minimum of two months. Don't want anyone getting mites or worse, right?
    Last edited by Alicia; 02-23-2017 at 03:15 AM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-23-2017),halfnakedlife (02-24-2017),Marzipan (02-25-2017),Trisnake (02-23-2017),tttaylorrr (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Housing two snakes of different species and vastly different husbandry needs in the same terrarium is asking for trouble. You will cause extreme stress to your snakes and more than likely (as mentioned above) the rosy will attempt to eat the baby ball. Just don't try it, they both need their own enclosures.

Thanks
    thanks for the advice guys, I was planning on quarantine anyway. They are the same length as each other with the ball being thicker so I doubt the rosy would be much of a threat. She is also very mellow and lived with her siblings up until i recieved her. I understand the points though so thank you, I think humidity would be the biggest factor since it couldnt go much higher than the 50 its at, plus my worry would be about stress on the ball