Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

1 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Cleanup after feeding?

I rarely bother to pay attention during the feeding after my boy grabs it. Tonight as he was finishing up the meal, I noticed that some of the viscera must have come out (possibly warmed it too much, I guess). Anyway, there was nastiness dripping out of his mouth and onto the substrate, and a nice splatter on the outside of his hide. Should I be concerned enough to scoop and replace the substrate, and sponge off the hide tomorrow when he has retreated??

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would say it can't hurt. Bacteria will start to build up so it's probably a good idea to clean up. It will probably only take a few minutes, so why not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I don't feed frozen thawed (fresh kill only) so I've never experienced anything like that before. But the day after feeding I go through all my tubs and check for uneaten rodents and spray down the substrate with water, spot clean, and change out their water. Mainly I just want to be sure there are no uneaten rodents that will go bad. I try not to disturb the snakes at all right after they have eaten because I don't want to chance regurgitation, I'll wait until the next morning to clean things up. If you can spot clean immediately without disturbing the snake I'd go ahead with it right away.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 02-19-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Cleanup after feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by jack jones View Post
    I rarely bother to pay attention during the feeding after my boy grabs it. Tonight as he was finishing up the meal, I noticed that some of the viscera must have come out (possibly warmed it too much, I guess). Anyway, there was nastiness dripping out of his mouth and onto the substrate, and a nice splatter on the outside of his hide. Should I be concerned enough to scoop and replace the substrate, and sponge off the hide tomorrow when he has retreated??
    Yep

That usually happens if they've been warmed up too much as you thought .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk