Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

2 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Lets talk about provent a mite

aka PAM (not the cooking spray) http://pro-products.com/provent-a-mite/

So this all starts about a week after my last reptile show. I find mites on a couple of snakes in bottom tubs. My best guess is they were on me, as none of the snakes I took to the show had them, and my one new snake didn't have them. Doesn't matter, I got mites and have to take care of them. I had about half a can of PAM left over from a while ago, used that to treat the affected tubs and the ones next to them. Alrite problem solved. A few days later, not only did it not kill anything, I had 8 tubs infected and the original ones had an explosion of mites. So this is something I suspected before, but wasn't sure. Does PAM have a short shelf life? If i had to guess id say my can is less than a year old.

So I order some PAM, but in the meantime I figure I'd try the all so famous facebook mite fix. I always see RID spoken so highly of as the cheap PAM alternative. On the can the ingredients are exactly the same as PAM, only difference seems to be one less oz per can. While I was there I also saw an even cheaper walgreen generic spray so I picked up a can of each to see if it held up to all the hype. I mean the reason I bought PAM is because that's what everyone recommended here and it worked when I used it.

So I treat 15 tubs with these 2 cans. The reason I only treat 15 tubs is out of that 5 oz can, I only got 8 tubs worth from RID and 7 tubs worth from the generic. 2 cans wasn't even enough to do all 21 tubs I wanted to. this was highly disappointing as I know I can do all 21 in the stack with 1 6 oz can of PAM. a couple for days of waiting for pam to show up, again mites are just exploding, all I can do is soak my snakes to drown the ones that fall off. it was quite obvious neither spray was working. Once PAM did show up, I treat all 21 tubs with a single can and still felt like I could've done 1 or 2 more. Next day, not a single mite is seen alive. Finally got it under control.

So what I find most interesting is the facebook claims of PAM being a rip off as it is so expensive. Well lets do the math assuming the cans do work as intended. I would of needed 3 cans of the RID at $7.50 to do 21 tubs. that $22.50. One can of PAM is $18. Now depending where you can get it, you may or may not have to pay for shipping, I get that. But even if the effectiveness is the same It is still cheaper to buy PAM. I am also severely doubting the effectiveness of RID. Now if my shelf life theory is right, maybe the RID sat too long also and that's why it didn't work. However it still doesn't make sense economically.

so thoughts?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-06-2016),cletus (11-06-2016),Rikoku (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Lets talk about provent a mite

Yep! Reptile expos are one of the easiest places to pick up a mite infestation. I would definitely think after 1 year the effectiveness of the proventamite has been decreased. I can't say that I noticed a expiration date on the cans b4 though. Did you also use the "natural chemistry" product along with the PAM? That is really the one, two punch that is standard. Usually when you buy PAM online it comes as a two package deal. There are anecdotal histories of people just using the " natural chemistry" without PAM and having good results. Remember the natural chemistry is applied directly to the animal and PAM is for the enclosure. Nix and Rid have their pros and cons but I would only use PAM bc it is a proven product when used correctly. Pro products needs to address the expiration debate and the use of PAM in young, and juvenile snakes. But yeah, PAM over all the other products for sure but used in conjunction with natural chemistry for the one, two eradication approach.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    I've never used natural chemistry, as PAM has always done the job alone as long as it wasn't an older can. Guess I'll have to ask pro products about the shelf life. I mean if it only is good for 6 months or so, might have to make it a habit to refresh so I always have a good can at hand. I just looked there is no expiration date
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 11-06-2016 at 04:56 PM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Had the same can of PAM for, I believe, 3 years, on hand to pre-treat QT tubs. Did a trade with local reptile store for an atb, it did have mites when I got it into QT and the PAM worked as normal (this was the last of it, so at the end of the approx. 3 years). I've never used anything additional with the PAM, it works great. I'm curious what you are able to find out about shelf life, would be good to know. Maybe I just got lucky!
    For the Horde!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (11-06-2016)

Thanks

Idk if that's a over site on the part of Pro products that there is no imprinted expiration date on the PAM. Some people swear by just using the natural chemistry on the animal and for the enclosure. Like wiping all of the tub interiors, exteriors and the inside and outside of the racks. But depending on the level of the outbreak it's much more easier to use PAM. IMO.

Thanks

The company is very customer friendly and I have spoken with them in the past when someone on a forum had used PAM on a hognose snake. The hognose was having a reaction to the PAM and they were very forthcoming about information on the product and its effectiveness.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 11-06-2016 at 05:17 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    The active ingredient in PAM is permethrin. It's half-life is 30 days when mixed with water, and only 7 days if used outside and it's exposed to direct sunlight (many kennel and livestock pest control products have it). I don't know what its half-life is as the "PAM" mixture when still in the can.

I do have the Permethrin-10 livestock spray concentrate that I use to make mite spray, and there is no expiration date on the bottle.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Neal (11-11-2016),OhhWatALoser (11-06-2016),PitOnTheProwl (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    As an update pro products never responded to my email...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    The active ingredient in PAM is permethrin. It's half-life is 30 days when mixed with water, and only 7 days if used outside and it's exposed to direct sunlight (many kennel and livestock pest control products have it). I don't know what its half-life is as the "PAM" mixture when still in the can.

I do have the Permethrin-10 livestock spray concentrate that I use to make mite spray, and there is no expiration date on the bottle.
    Good post to point out a cheaper alternative, especially that you just mix when you need.

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    As an update pro products never responded to my email...
    That sucks, that's one reason I hate to do email with companies. One perfect example is if I can't talk to the people I'm interested in getting a snake from on the phone, then I just won't order from them.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Good post to point out a cheaper alternative, especially that you just mix when you need.
    Bear in mind that the alternative, while cheaper, must be mixed carefully as too strong of a mite spray will kill of your snakes as well as the mites. Two liters of water with just 3 milliliters of the P-10 yields the same strength permethrin solution as the NIX/RID bottle in a gallon of water.
    Last edited by bcr229; 01-27-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast