Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

0 members and 3,140 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Basically, you can lay in wet grass but the air is dry

Having heat from above kills your humidity in the air. With that kind of setup , you will always fight this.
    I think the snake has enough "humidity" down below in the substrate, but you can't have it all wet either. Give her wetter "areas" in both cool and dry area (harder to do in small setup) and keep the lid as enclosed as you can.

You could put a wet paper towel on the screen and then aluminium foil above that, to keep the air from above drying out the paper towel and to keep the humidity inside of the tank for as long as possible.

Measuring humidity is tricky, and the probes are temperamental..many things can throw the readings off. I think what you get is fine for now, keep misting lightly, but don't saturate the substrate. You will just have "more work" (misting) with the glass tank, but you are doing great so far.

If you do a little bit of research how the humidity probes and readers work, you will see what I mean..

Just breathe, and enjoy your little snake, she is a BEAUTY, and wow, already ate for you
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-18-2017),Chappy4o (02-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Re: another noob, is my setup correct?

on another note, after much research (and oh is there a lot out there) i have decided to name her Manasa, after the Hindu goddess of snakes.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chappy4o For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2017),Slither Seeker (02-18-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Thats really cool!
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Chappy4o (02-19-2017)

Thanks
    so two days later and all of the substrate is wet still, i can push on it and i see water so it is pretty well saturated. i also picked up the grapevine and it has mold growing so its no longer in the cage . . . fml . . . im thinking a complete substrate change this weekend (mondays and tuesdays are my weekend lmao)
    1.0 -- '17 Normal -- Fred

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
    so two days later and all of the substrate is wet still, i can push on it and i see water so it is pretty well saturated. i also picked up the grapevine and it has mold growing so its no longer in the cage . . . fml . . . im thinking a complete substrate change this weekend (mondays and tuesdays are my weekend lmao)
    Omg, what did you mist it with a Hose hahahhahaha. Bro you gotta change that asap.. Cant wait 5 days. You already seen mold on the vine so thats not good at all..
    Sounds to me like the glass floor is wet, flooded if you push on substrate and see water rise. I'd take 30 min tonight and clean that asap. Bacteria is no joke with reptiles.. Im not saying to panic im just don't leave that. All it takes is a broken tooth or sore under a scale and the snake could get a infection from bacteria in a wet environment. I think that happened when you were trying to get humidity up and you kept misting...
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Omg, what did you mist it with a Hose hahahhahaha. Bro you gotta change that asap.. Cant wait 5 days. You already seen mold on the vine so thats not good at all..
    Sounds to me like the glass floor is wet, flooded if you push on substrate and see water rise. I'd take 30 min tonight and clean that asap. Bacteria is no joke with reptiles.. Im not saying to panic im just don't leave that. All it takes is a broken tooth or sore under a scale and the snake could get a infection from bacteria in a wet environment. I think that happened when you were trying to get humidity up and you kept misting...
    that is what i was thinking, i checked just now and i no longer SEE water but it is still damp, ill be changing it out tomorrow, it will still be the same stuff just lack of H2O lmao. after telling my story tonight when i was at my dad's house he agreed to go in with me on a T10. so in the near future i will be getting a t10 with HEP, divider, stand, and flexwatt and i will probably run aspen substrate. in the meantime a substrate change and an acuright, i will be feeding her as well on wednesday so i think that will give me an idea, she is using the hell out of her hide since her last feeding last week. i dont know if she came out of it at night but i took her out and handled her for a bit and she seemed to take it well. i even weighed her and she has gained 6g but she also has not defecated since ive had her, just lumps of the white urates.but i am happy to report that as ive left it alone for the past few days and removal of the grapevine, my humidity has actually increased a few % on the 'not positive on accurate hydrometer'.

Thanks
    so for some reason i cannot edit my last post but i meant RHP not HEP

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post

You seem to be doing a great job of putting in the time and effort to make things right for your snake. Keep up the good work, it'll be worth it. It DOES get easier. You're in good hands with Zina and Sully guiding you.

I would definitely take Sully's advice about a substrate change due to the over soaking (lesson learned) if you haven't already done it.

I see you have the Mon/Tues "weekend". Are you in the restaurant business? I am a sautee chef and I used to have the Mon/Tues weekend for a while until I changed my schedule.

Experience and a permanent enclosure will definitely make things easier, but keep in mind you're doing a great job. Take some time to enjoy your awesome new animal, you deserve it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Chappy4o (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I see you have the Mon/Tues "weekend". Are you in the restaurant business? I am a sautee chef and I used to have the Mon/Tues weekend for a while until I changed my schedule.
    No I am a truck driver, I run a local dedicated route

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chappy4o For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-27-2017)

Thanks
    So an update on my husbandry, Mr. Sully hit it on the nose, my exo-terra hydrometer is garbage. I just got my acurite in the mail today and just to check humidity stuck it in the tank. . .I'll let the pics tell the story

Now I can accurately measure my temps and humidity and give my Manasa the comfort she deserves.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast