Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

1 members and 2,849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

African soft furs in New Jersey or eastern Pennsylvania

Hello

I am looking to start breeding African soft furs to get my ball pythons that I am keeping to feed on them instead on rats and mice. My problem is I can't seem to find anyone who sells asf anywhere in my area. Can anyone in the Phillipsburg nj or Lehigh valley area know where I can get some to start breeding? Willing to travel up to an hour in either direction. Thanks

Thanks
    Not sure about ASFs but hit the Expos at Oaks, PA and Edison NJ. Its cool just to go and there are always feeder sellers there. If they don't have them they likely know someone. I just get good quality regular rats from a guy in Toms River and my BPs hit them hard.

Thanks

Re: African soft furs in New Jersey or eastern Pennsylvania

Update..

I ended up finding someone who had some for sale.I had to travel an hour to get th3m but it was worth it.. I got 2 males and 6 females a few months back and raised them up and bred some of there offspring. Now I am at over 100 asf and growing. I was reading all these online sites saying they bite and don't touch there baby's when mommy is around because she will attack. But when I got th3m I made sure i pet them every day to get used to human contact. Now when there is newborns I can pick them up whenever even if there under mommy. I will just scoot mommy over and pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
    Not sure about ASFs but hit the Expos at Oaks, PA and
    Edison NJ. Its cool just to go and there are always feeder sellers there. If they don't have them they likely know someone. I just get good quality regular rats from a guy in Toms River and my BPs hit them hard.

Thanks

Re: African soft furs in New Jersey or eastern Pennsylvania

That's my experience also, online sites re ASFs are overwhelmingly negative and don't give nearly as much credit where credit is due. All this whining re "oh well um i don't wanna feed ASFs coz then my BPs wont go back to regular rats" ... assuming that's true (ass-u-me) then so what? Just never stop feeding ASFs. So simple it's stupid.

And yes daily human contact is the key even a few seconds per litter will do, just enough to expose them to your scent.