Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

2 members and 3,252 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What kind of substrate do you currently use for your ball pythons?

Voters
583. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newspaper

132 22.64%
  • Aspen

185 31.73%
  • Carefresh

14 2.40%
  • Cypress Mulch

53 9.09%
  • Coconut Fiber

44 7.55%
  • Paper Towels

50 8.58%
  • Other (so what is it?)

105 18.01%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What type of substrate do you use?

For Falkor I'm using T-Rex Coconut Bark. I've tried to change it a few times, but he spazzes out bad if I do. Apparently, he has a strong preference for the coconut bark. He also gets some fluker's moss in his hide. Spoiled little prince.

I wanted to switch him over to Carefresh Ultra because we use it for the rabbits as well and it would be easier to see his poop. But apparently, only Coconut Bark will do, or he'll fly up into the fake plants and not touch the ground like it's made of lava. I even tried easing him into it using both, but if there's no bark he loses his mind. He's a very strange corn.

Gomez will be using the Carefresh Ultra. I'm presuming he won't be as picky
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Zoomed fir bark for ball python. It holds moisture for humidity, it looks good, gives the snake something to rub against when it is shedding, can be spot cleaned easily. It is fairly expensive though. At PetsMart it is 9.99 for 8 quarts, which is enough to fill the bottom of a 20gallon long about 2-3inches.

Thanks

I have used Repti bark til now. I used paper on the enclosures of my two new snakes today. I have decided I will use paper out of ease. It was ok with one snake, but will become very expensive with multiple snakes I think. I can change all of my herp cage liners in 10 min flat now. I have 5 cages and plan on getting at least 6-7 more in the very near future.

Thanks

Smulkin and I quickly learned what you just stated, Lars. Aesthetics often take a back seat when you start keeping several herps. Even if cost isn't a concern, ease of maintenance surely is. When we started out with two snakes, it was ReptiBark, glass enclosures, lots of very natural-looking foliage. Now that we keep over 20, it's Sterilites and newspaper.

Funny, though, the snakes don't seem to notice the difference. Their behavior hasn't changed much at all. They still stay in their hides most of the time.

Thanks

Another lesson I learned today.

Rocks, wood and the such harbor urate. They are porous (spelling) materials. I scrubbed one of the rocks that came with the snakes I got yesterday for 5 minutes today. I could not get that awful smell out. I tossed the rocks and the "Grapevine" wood. The enclosure looked good with them in it, but stank my whole house up. I cleaned that cage for 2 hours today. I filled it with plastic and paper items. I will never have to deal with that smell for more than 5 minutes again as long as I live.

Thanks

Yes, we learned that too, Lars. We tried different ways to disinfect and deodorize rocks and wood, but ultimately decided that plastic and resin was the way to go.

I like the plastic hides from Reptile Tubs: http://www.reptiletubs.com/

And these reptile caves from Hagen which I believe are made from non-porous resin and can be easily scrubbed and disinfected: http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=385

Thanks

concerning hides, are these the best hides you have found? right now I am using just plastic plant pots upside down, but wanted something that looked nicer for my cage since it's in a highly visible area. I have an Animal Plastics T3 cage in black by the way.

Thanks

Those are the best hides I've found. If you want something natural looking, go for the Hagen caves. They're nice and heavy and easy to clean. Snakes can climb across them without tipping them over and will sometimes just hang out on top of them. The Reptile Tub hides are lighter and also very easy to clean. Both options are pretty inexpensive.

Thanks

From http://www.herpsupplies.com they're much cheaper... the only difference is from reptiletubs.com you get a discount on 26+.... I order from Pondside Herp Supply, and get my stuff within 3 business days. Customer Service is great too!
    Ken

Thanks

I usually use cypress mulch, but it has become impossible to find now that it is not gardening season! I am currently using the cocnut fiber that comes in a brick, but I despise it; every time I take a snake out, it gets all over the place. I am actually debating using aspen, but the only place I can get it is in the city, and I hardly get out that way!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast