Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

2 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: What kind of substrate do you currently use for your ball pythons?

Voters
583. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newspaper

132 22.64%
  • Aspen

185 31.73%
  • Carefresh

14 2.40%
  • Cypress Mulch

53 9.09%
  • Coconut Fiber

44 7.55%
  • Paper Towels

50 8.58%
  • Other (so what is it?)

105 18.01%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What type of substrate do you use?

Well, a T3 is 3FT long by 2FT deep. Seems to be that 24" wide pieces would work fine, right?

Thanks

well the exterior dimensions are 3x2 but there is some overlap where the front of the cage is. The interior dimensions would be tough to find accurately but its probably 2-3 inches smaller on the inside I would guess. I think i answered my own question on the size, now i just need to know what "weight" to get. Thanks for the reply Jglass

JT
    1.0 Normal - Hatched 8/05 (Charlie) Avatar pic (1365g)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lemon Pastel (Daisy)

Thanks

Ahhh.I have one T3 but never measured. You are right though that the door channels take up space. As far as weight, I am not quite sure which one to get. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i use aspen since that's what i use for my ratties, mouse and all of our birds as well.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kavmon
    try www.uline.com they have it in sheets and rolls, prices are good. i use 18 inch rolls of 60lb. kraft paper, i love it. they also have unprinted newsprint.

vaughn
    Check with your local newpaper. They'll usu. have roll-ends that they sell. They can't use them for newspaper printing because there isn't enough paper for a printing run, but the ones I've managed to get a hold of often have 60# or more of paper on them. They may be a little awkward to handle though, but if you can get them cheap.........

OOOps, I forgot to ask......N-Ebody hear of getting bacteria in the aspen??? I spot clean as necessary and then replace all every other week or for a poo event. Snoopy's developed pseudomonas and the vet suspects the aspen. All the temps, humidity are dead on.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I seriously doubt it's the aspen(unless he's just living in complete filth with WC snakes, which I also SERIOUSLY doubt). How did they culture the pseudo? Where did they get the sample from?

Here's some good info on it: http://textbookofbacteriology.net/pseudomonas.html

We studied pseudomonas alot in clinical pathology and even cultured it... It does NOT smell good when cultured I can tell you that.

It comes from bad water sources and infected dirt and substrate, but if you are getting your aspen in a sealed bag from the pet store, then I really don't think it's the bedding.

What are the snake's signs and symptoms? What is the vet treating the infection with?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Nope. No waste/filth, no WC snakes. All my babies were CBB. Snoopy's prev. family said they had her for 4-5 yrs. and she was an adult when they got her..but I don't know how big.

The vet took a sample of fluid from a belly scale. She was fine a day or two prev. but when it looked like a blister, and my temps were all okay I took her to the vet. On the odd chance, took a sample. Said it cultered as P. but I don't remember if he mentioned the other part of it.

He started her on Baytril IM. Now it's some other special Rx. I'm using bleach every day to clean her equipment/tank until my disinfectant comes from Matt. She's on paper towels changed daily, both temps are up 90 and 94. Betadine in her soaking water, & her drinking water bowl is smaller so she can't climb into it. She ate just fine a couple weeks before the vet. She had been eating a rat/week. That's why I thought maybe something was off, & then the "blisters". Water is municiple w/the chlorine in it. I've just started using the blue ZooMed drops to dechlorinate and turn it into "herp" water.

Isolation, & I do the other two before her. R's corn is in a totally seperate room as well, still in quarantine after being a new Christmas present.

Vet says not to even use the coconut husk(?) type bedding. Shredded paper..even after she gets well. Shots daily, and I've had to soak her for this shed. Thinking maybe that could have been part of the cause(?) last time, but it's so iffy.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I think I am going to use Aspen but where is the cheapest place to get this stuff, and I want to make sure it's sealed and clean, no bacteria or insects in it...

Thanks

Around here, feed stores carry it, (or will order it for U) cheaper than the pet stores (PetCo, PetsMart).
    www.kaytee.com will get you to their store locator for their brand of aspen bedding.

Between it and the reptile felt I started with, I like the aspen better. IMO it looks nicer, brighter, but the vet suggests the indoor carpet/reptile felt. Since my other snakes don't seem to have any problems, I'm not sure if I'm going to change or not. I still have the two pieces of felt that I kept, so.....*shrugs*

Good luck in whatever U decide.

RuLyn
    Sweety314

Thanks

ive been using newspaper since i get one everymorning and when im done reading them i just save them for when i need them. ive been thinkin about using aspen tho might make it look the least more attractive.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast