Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

1 members and 3,342 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Western Hognose vs Grey banded Kingsnake Vs Corn

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    Do a lot of poeple have hissy hogs? Just asking because I haven't had that issue with mine. They hiss at their food, but not me.

@Houghie: I have a Mexican Black Kingsnake and three Western Hognoses. Never had a Cornsnake, so I can't comment on them, but if I had to choose between the two species I have I would defintiely go with the Hogs. They're very active and curious, full of personality. As much as I love my MBK, it just kinda sits there. (Probably an odd complaint coming from a guy who loves ball pythons.)

Here are some of the cute things Hognoses do:
    • Flatten out their bodies and hood like a cobra
    • Open their mouths and lunge at their food
    • Play dead
    • Fake strikes
    • Move around the enclosure to explore/hunt
    • Burrow into loose substrate
    • Sometimes when they're really agitated they can make their hiss sound like a Rattlesnake's tail. My yearling girl did this once when I put a live mouse in her cage. She's used to frozen thawed, so she was not at all happy about having a live mouse in there.

Plus I've never had a problem with Hogs peeing or musking on me... unlike a certain Kingsnake, who small remain nameless.
    Thats good to hear. my corn always pooped on me, not very nice. are hoggies messy snakes?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Western Hognose vs Grey banded Kingsnake Vs Corn

Quote Originally Posted by Houghie View Post
    Thank you, I am aware of that, and not that worried about it. But Im not really a BP fan, never owned one.
    That's fine then ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-04-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Thats good to hear. my corn always pooped on me, not very nice. are hoggies messy snakes?
    Just shows we all have different experiences ... My 8 year old Corn has NEVER messed on anyone ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Things to consider with hognose vs King or corns.

Hogs very rarely bites however a bite is always a possibility and it is important to keep in mind that while they are rear fanged and contain a very mild venom a reaction is always a possibility.

Huffing and puffing (Cobra mode is what I call it) is not unusual for young individual but even more so with males not as much when reaching to handle than it is during feeding time.

Males remain very small 150 grams or so is considered a very good size male, females can reach 400 to 600 grams (6 hundred being considered a large individual).

They tend to be eating machine also males are prone to go of feed while females rarely will. First time owner often make the mistake to underfeed them forgetting that hatchlings have a very high metabolism, when young they should be fed every 3 days especially their first year.

Expected growth during the first year with a proper feeding schedule is 50 grams to 75 grams or more (female).

Temperatures requirement are high compare to corns or kings with a hot spot of 90 to 94.

Humidity is the same with an ambient humidity that is sufficient to allow proper shed.

Hognose have it all, very manageable size, cuteness, very alert and inquisitive when handles really a great over all snake.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Eavlynn (02-04-2017),Houghie (02-04-2017),the_rotten1 (02-04-2017),Zincubus (02-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Things to consider with hognose vs King or corns.

Hogs very rarely bites however a bite is always a possibility and it is important to keep in mind that while they are rear fanged and contain a very mild venom a reaction is always a possibility.

Huffing and puffing (Cobra mode is what I call it) is not unusual for young individual but even more so with males not as much when reaching to handle than it is during feeding time.

Males remain very small 150 grams or so is considered a very good size male, females can reach 400 to 600 grams (6 hundred being considered a large individual).

They tend to be eating machine also males are prone to go of feed while females rarely will. First time owner often make the mistake to underfeed them forgetting that hatchlings have a very high metabolism, when young they should be fed every 3 days especially their first year.

Expected growth during the first year with a proper feeding schedule is 50 grams to 75 grams or more (female).

Temperatures requirement are high compare to corns or kings with a hot spot of 90 to 94.

Humidity is the same with an ambient humidity that is sufficient to allow proper shed.

Hognose have it all, very manageable size, cuteness, very alert and inquisitive when handles really a great over all snake.

Thank you very much. So every 3 days you say for feeding? What would be the best option handling them if they eat so much?(time wise)

Due to the fact that they don't like handling after they have been fed. Cause its a time period of 48hrs mainly. When should I handle them then?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you very much. So every 3 days you say for feeding? What would be the best option handling them if they eat so much?(time wise)

Due to the fact that they don't like handling after they have been fed. Cause its a time period of 48hrs mainly. When should I handle them then?
    For at least the first year when they are hatchlings yes, you can handle the day after feeding without any issue.

Once they reach 1 year every 5 days feeding schedule works great than once my males get to 125 grams and females get to 200/250 I only feed once a week.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-05-2017)

Thanks
    Just to chime in, I have been bitten by hatchlings, but they're so tiny that it did no damage whatsoever. Kinda tickled. Didn't hurt, or even break skin. It's probably more of a conern when they're bigger, but as long as I remember to wash my hands after handling my rodents it shouldn't be an issue. I forgot a few times and that's the only reason I got bit.

Definitely listen to Deborah when it comes to their care. She has a lot of experience with them and the information she's posted here in regards to them has helped me care for my own collection. My yearling girl-- well, I keep calling her that but she's not quite a year old yet. I think she was born sometime in May-- already weighs about 70g empty. They really are eating machines and she's grown like a weed since I got her. I just recently moved from twice a week feedings to every five days. She'd probably eat a mouse every other day if I let her, but I figure it's time for her to slow down.

*this was taken months ago, so she's actually bigger now

As for being messy, they poop pretty often. But it's no more messy than when any other snake poops. Hope that helps!
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-05-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (02-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    Just to chime in, I have been bitten by hatchlings, but they're so tiny that it did no damage whatsoever. Kinda tickled. Didn't hurt, or even break skin. It's probably more of a conern when they're bigger, but as long as I remember to wash my hands after handling my rodents it shouldn't be an issue. I forgot a few times and that's the only reason I got bit.

Definitely listen to Deborah when it comes to their care. She has a lot of experience with them and the information she's posted here in regards to them has helped me care for my own collection. My yearling girl-- well, I keep calling her that but she's not quite a year old yet. I think she was born sometime in May-- already weighs about 70g empty. They really are eating machines and she's grown like a weed since I got her. I just recently moved from twice a week feedings to every five days. She'd probably eat a mouse every other day if I let her, but I figure it's time for her to slow down.

*this was taken months ago, so she's actually bigger now

As for being messy, they poop pretty often. But it's no more messy than when any other snake poops. Hope that helps!
    Thank You for the advise, and that a really nice hoggie!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    For at least the first year when they are hatchlings yes, you can handle the day after feeding without any issue.

Once they reach 1 year every 5 days feeding schedule works great than once my males get to 125 grams and females get to 200/250 I only feed once a week.
    As soon as I get a hoggie, Ill do so, thank you Deborah!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally have no experience with keeping hognose snakes. I do have a Cali King and 2 corns though and I absolutely love them. My king is about 1.5 year old male who was said to be a bit nippy before I took him home, but he has never nipped at me or my girlfriend once. Prior to bringing him home, my girlfriend was basically "afraid" of snakes, but she now holds him pretty often and absolutely loves him. He is a bit of an explorer, but he also loves to get settled and just relax around my neck, around my forearm/wrist area or occasionally on my lap. My corns are only a few months old, so they are always in explore mode when out of their enclosure. I'm sure they will slow down a bit with age, as most seem to do. Despite their adventurous behavior they are absolute sweethearts. If it was up to me, my vote would go to the king.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I personally have no experience with keeping hognose snakes. I do have a Cali King and 2 corns though and I absolutely love them. My king is about 1.5 year old male who was said to be a bit nippy before I took him home, but he has never nipped at me or my girlfriend once. Prior to bringing him home, my girlfriend was basically "afraid" of snakes, but she now holds him pretty often and absolutely loves him. He is a bit of an explorer, but he also loves to get settled and just relax around my neck, around my forearm/wrist area or occasionally on my lap. My corns are only a few months old, so they are always in explore mode when out of their enclosure. I'm sure they will slow down a bit with age, as most seem to do. Despite their adventurous behavior they are absolute sweethearts. If it was up to me, my vote would go to the king.
    Its so hard, I basically love everything. kings,corns,hoggies,pythons,boas etc. But maybe I'll make up my mind once I've seen them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast