Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

1 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I'd say cornsnakes have the most easy going temperment. My hognose is hissy when I open the tub but never strikes and calms down as soon as I pick him up. I've never owned a Kingsnake but I've heard they can be....temperamental.

My vote goes to hognose, they may be hissy but they are fun and have a ton of personality.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Houghie View Post
    I have owned two corn snakes before, but had to give it up dew to the fact
    that I had to work overseas for a while, and I was barely home. But im back now and I want to get another snake.

But thats where you you guys come in, I must choose between a Western Hognose, Another Corn snake, or a Grey banded kingsnake.

I have read up about WHN and GBK but Im looking for one with a nice personality, and not too big. handling between the
    two? which one would you advise? which one likes handling more? and how long does it take
    for the GBK to get over their musking issue? Are they better than Cal Kings? their temper?

If you have experience with all, please help me out. Thanks
    I have owned two corn snakes before and a brown house snake, but had to give it up dew to the fact
    that I had to work overseas for a while, and I was barely home. But im back now and I want to get another snake.

But thats where you you guys come in, I must choose between a Western Hognose, Another Corn snake, or a Grey banded kingsnake.

I have read up about WHN and GBK but Im looking for one with a nice personality, and not too big. handling between the
    two? which one would you advise? which one likes handling more? and how long does it take
    for the GBK to get over their musking issue? Are they better than Cal Kings? their temper?

I have owned two corn snakes before and a brown house snake, but had to give it up dew to the fact

While I understand that you are new there is no need to post 3 identical threads, therefore in an effort to keep the forum clutter free all threads were merged into one.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-03-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Western Hognose vs Grey banded Kingsnake Vs Corn

Thank you, I'll also have a look.

Thanks
    Do a lot of poeple have hissy hogs? Just asking because I haven't had that issue with mine. They hiss at their food, but not me.

@Houghie: I have a Mexican Black Kingsnake and three Western Hognoses. Never had a Cornsnake, so I can't comment on them, but if I had to choose between the two species I have I would defintiely go with the Hogs. They're very active and curious, full of personality. As much as I love my MBK, it just kinda sits there. (Probably an odd complaint coming from a guy who loves ball pythons.)

Here are some of the cute things Hognoses do:
    • Flatten out their bodies and hood like a cobra
    • Open their mouths and lunge at their food
    • Play dead
    • Fake strikes
    • Move around the enclosure to explore/hunt
    • Burrow into loose substrate
    • Sometimes when they're really agitated they can make their hiss sound like a Rattlesnake's tail. My yearling girl did this once when I put a live mouse in her cage. She's used to frozen thawed, so she was not at all happy about having a live mouse in there.

Plus I've never had a problem with Hogs peeing or musking on me... unlike a certain Kingsnake, who small remain nameless.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-04-2017)

Thanks

Thank you very much! Im almost certain Im gonna go with a Hoggie. they sound really interesting. one more thing I want to know.
    Once a hoggie is out of its cage, is it calm and just relax with you, or is it active, alm ost like its on a mission the whole time?
    Thank you

Thanks

Depends on the snake. My yearling girl is really calm and she'll just cruise through my fingers. I also have two hatchlings and they're kinda squirmy, but I think that's just a hatchling thing. Baby snakes can be temperamental. I'm sure they'll calm down when they're older, and once they've had more time to get used to me.

Even if you happen to get a snake that's high-strung, most can be tamed down with daily handling. Just hold them for a few minutes each day (not too long or it'll stress them out) and try to make them as comfortable as possible. Don't restrain them, let them roam freely, and they'll learn that you're not a threat.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-04-2017)

Thanks

Thank you very much. Im gonna go with the Hoggie then. Female or male?

Thanks

Thank you very much. Im gonna go with the Hoggie then. Female or male?
    Males stay smaller, where as females can get up to 3 feet. It's all in what you want. I believe males also have a tendency to go off feed more often than females. Deborah is our main hoggie expert around here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eavlynn For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Western Hognose vs Grey banded Kingsnake Vs Corn

Thank you very much! Im almost certain Im gonna go with a Hoggie. they sound really interesting. one more thing I want to know.
    Once a hoggie is out of its cage, is it calm and just relax with you, or is it active, alm ost like its on a mission the whole time?
    Thank you
    I've had a quick flick through these suggestions and can't fault anything I've seen ......that said whilst Hoggies are possibly the cutest looking snakes around .... as usual ....I didn't see any mention of Hognose's being rear-fanged and as such are classed as mildly venomous - certainly worth bearing in mind - as you indicated that you want frequent handling sessions I believe .... . A lot depends on the individuals reactions to the bite and wether they're sensitive to bites / stings etc and how bad a bite also is a factor . If they do bite and latch on then that can cause problems as I understand .

To be honest if you want a beautiful looking snake that won't get too big and that will sit on your lap for as long as you want - best option would be a Royal Python .... I've got Kings and Corns and they're all on a mission as soon as they're out if the Viv .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-04-2017 at 07:50 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Houghie (02-04-2017)

Thanks

Thank you, I am aware of that, and not that worried about it. But Im not really a BP fan, never owned one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Houghie For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-04-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast