Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

0 members and 3,203 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Light Installation Help!

Hello BP.net!

I've got a large Reptology Life Science enclosure I bought at the Reptile Super Show about 5 years back. I've been trying to figure out how to install my own custom lighting inside it, and previously I had a 660W lamp holder I had gotten at Home Depot screwed into the back of it with the wire feeding out through a vent hole. The fixture attached nicely, but with the socket facing straightforward I am concerned the right amount of heat would not be directed where it's needed (namely downward towards the majority of the enclosure). Without a proper lighting fixture I've, obviously, not been using it. It's currently serving use as my entertainment system + storage.

I've been considering getting a bat wing reflector, like the ones people use for hydroponics, and just installing that either over the current fixture I have, or get a reflector with its own fixture and switch them out entirely.

Another option on my mind has been to find a way to attach a lighting fixture to the top of the terrarium, perhaps with a wire hook or something more secure? I have a dome lamp with a dimmer switch I wouldn't mind utilizing in this somehow, if it's possible.

I'd also like to know a way to close up the vent holes in the back in such a way that still let me run wires through them. I used to have fitted caps for this purpose when I bought it, but I've since lost them!

I'm including pictures of the enclosure itself, including where and how I had the fixture positioned.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    You should be able to drill small pilot holes to attach your fixture to the top facing downward. This way your heat will be aiming down towards the bottom of the cage. As for your vent and wire holes. Depending on where you live exactly there should be a local hardware store to purchase plugs to fill the holes in. They push in and have little pieces that pop out and hold them in place. Same goes for the hole that you use for running the wire through the back it can also be done the same way. They make plugs that have a slit to use with wires. If you need more info on the plugs I can look them up and send you the product numbers from places like LOWES or HOME DEPOT. Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jess Jones For This Useful Post:

Stormborn (02-03-2017)

Thanks

Re: Light Installation Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Jones View Post
    You should be able to drill small pilot holes to attach your fixture to the top facing downward. This way your heat will be aiming down towards the bottom of the cage. As for your vent and wire holes. Depending on where you live exactly there should be a local hardware store to purchase plugs to fill the holes in. They push in and have little pieces that pop out and hold them in place. Same goes for the hole that you use for running the wire through the back it can also be done the same way. They make plugs that have a slit to use with wires. If you need more info on the plugs I can look them up and send you the product numbers from places like LOWES or HOME DEPOT. Hope this helps.
    Yes, this is helpful, thank you! I did some searching around and found out they are called wire keeper grommets, and there’s some good ones on Amazon that have flexible ports to run multiple cables through, so I may take some measurements of the wire holes and order them accordingly (Amazon Prime is a lifesaver, haha).

Do you think having a lightbulb facing straight down will be safe for any animals living in the terrarium? Or should I trie to fashion/buy a dome or other such hood for the bulb?

Thanks
    Update! I remembered that the back of the socket is where the wire is coming out of, so securing it to the top of the enclosure is gonna be impossible. I think I may need to invest in a new socket all together, and save this one for something else.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    What are you planning to keep in there? Looks like you would lose a lot of space that fixture in the cage plus you'd need a wire protector all the way around so no animal could reach it directly. Risky. You could cut a hole and screen the top for a dome above the cage or get a radiant heat panel for inside the cage-safer heating, doesn't take up much cage space.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks
    Looks like the cage is pretty tall inside.

As GoingPostal stated depending on what your putting in there would depend on if it would work facing down or not. Also as GoingPostal said putting some type of cage around it would be recommended for sure.

As for your fixture you could still use it. You would have to rewire it with the wires going out the side of the conduit junction box and plugging the hole on the back of it with the screw in plug from the side. You could purchase the conduit and run it out the back so your wires aren't hanging down in the cage also. It helps make for a cleaner look also. That's if you still would like to use your current fixture. I like to use the small under cabinet puck lights from home depot. They are about a 1/2 inch tall so they are almost flush fit. They are really nice and bright and have a protective cover so you don't have to worry about the reptile getting in contact with the bulbs. Here are the ones I use
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...33BK/202051199

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jess Jones For This Useful Post:

Stormborn (02-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    What are you planning to keep in there? Looks like you would lose a lot of space that fixture in the cage plus you'd need a wire protector all the way around so no animal could reach it directly. Risky. You could cut a hole and screen the top for a dome above the cage or get a radiant heat panel for inside the cage-safer heating, doesn't take up much cage space.
    I honestly haven’t decided what to put in it yet! I plan on getting a ball python hatchling at the next reptile expo (Which I have a 10g tank set up for), so probably one day that. Haven’t had snakes in a few years, so I wanna get back into it one step at a time.

And yeah, lighting with the current fixture would be risky. But it looks like I am going to have to get a new socket anyway so I intend on getting one that has a guard around it.

Thanks

Looks like the cage is pretty tall inside.

As GoingPostal stated depending on what your putting in there would depend on if it would work facing down or not. Also as GoingPostal said putting some type of cage around it would be recommended for sure.

As for your fixture you could still use it. You would have to rewire it with the wires going out the side of the conduit junction box and plugging the hole on the back of it with the screw in plug from the side. You could purchase the conduit and run it out the back so your wires aren't hanging down in the cage also. It helps make for a cleaner look also. That's if you still would like to use your current fixture. I like to use the small under cabinet puck lights from home depot. They are about a 1/2 inch tall so they are almost flush fit. They are really nice and bright and have a protective cover so you don't have to worry about the reptile getting in contact with the bulbs. Here are the ones I use
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...33BK/202051199
    It is pretty tall inside, yep. I haven't measured it in a while but it's at least 2ft tall.

I wish I had more electric experience, because I am not confident I could rewire it correctly. But do those puck lights fit any kind of heat lamp, or are they just for ambient light?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stormborn View Post
    It is pretty tall inside, yep. I haven't measured it in a while but it's at least 2ft tall.

I wish I had more electric experience, because I am not confident I could rewire it correctly. But do those puck lights fit any kind of heat lamp, or are they just for ambient light?
    The puck light are just for ambient light.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jess Jones For This Useful Post:

Stormborn (02-04-2017)

Thanks

The puck light are just for ambient light.

Good to know, thank you! I’ve been looking into some LEDs for ambient lighting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast