Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,128

3 members and 3,125 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Carpet handling

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I saw a jungle carpet at the local pet store and all the employees said that it was puppy dog tame and never struck at anyone, I was amazed because I always heard about people giving them a bad reputation. I think it depends on the snake and how it was raised from a youngster. I find that the younger I get a snake the more I can train him to be easy going (the less baggage they have). The right environment really helps, a solid tub that makes them feel secure, the proper humidity and temps, and especially lots of food to keep them fat and happy.

I think that handling is good for any snake. I think you have to start with short sessions and really read the snake well and work up to longer sessions. I'm currently working with my SD retic who was a terror when I got him just a few weeks ago. This last session lasted about five minutes, I always keep him close to his tub so that if he wants to run he has a place to retreat. I started with sessions less than 30 seconds, now I'm at about five minutes and he is really chilling out, well for the most part. He still can be a bit nippy at first and pee on me LOL, but I think after a month or two we will move past that. Right now I'm handling 1-2 times per week, usually a couple days after a feeding when his rodent bump has gone away LOL.

I think if you got a snake right out of the egg and worked a lot with him you could tame any snake out there. I think reading the snake, feeding heavy when very young, and building trust is the key.

If you get a full size mature snake that's aggressive it will take a lot more work to tame them down and you may never really fully trust that snake. Especially if it's a large snake, the penalty for not reading it properly is a lot greater than with a small snake.

I'd say find a Jungle carpet that you know is tame.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 02-02-2017 at 02:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (02-04-2017)