Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Acclimation and Stress

OK, I understand that BP's need time to acclimate to their new homes so that they won't be stressed.

This is my question, how do you tell if they are stressed?

For example, this evening, I took him out and weighed him to make sure he hadn't lost any weight (after he refused feed again this evening). Happy to announce he weighs the same.

So, I put him back in, but had to do a few things in his enclosure (change his water, mount his Acu Rite Therm to the side of the glass, because he's been knocking it over, and put the probe inside the warm hide).

While I was doing these things, he was crawling around and several times came over to my hand and started to crawl on it. He isn't even head shy when I move my finger slowly and lightly stroke his head.

When he's active and I walk by, he comes to the front as if to watch me, and if I touch my finger to the glass, he acts like it's an invitation to try to climb on me, but the glass is in the way.

Does this sound like a stressed snake to you? Does this sound like he's not acclimated?

I'm thinking, either he's getting ready to shed (they don't eat much before that, do they?) Or he's just not hungry.

And if he's getting ready to shed, what should the humidity be at during shed?

Robin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Acclimation and Stress

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    This is my question, how do you tell if they are stressed?
    They won't eat ... or they become sick.

Does this sound like a stressed snake to you? Does this sound like he's not acclimated?
    In my experience ... actually, it does. Just about every single ball python in my colony remains pretty inactive all day long, even around people. A insecure, nervous ball python will spend a lot of time "cruising" looking for a way "out", even if that is the hand/arm of a caring keeper.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Adam,

I've had him for 8 days now, so should I just wait another week before I try to offer him food again? He's about 18" and 74 grams. I think I read you said your hatchlings can easily handle small adult mice, right?

He was reportedly eating hoppers before I got him.

Would he also reject food if he's getting ready to shed?

Thanks for your valuable input, I really appreciate it!

Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the best for him.

Robin

Thanks

If I were you?

I'd leave him alone. At least 7-10 days. Stop weighing him. Ball pythons have slow metabolisms and aren't going to lose any weight in 8 days.

Fill the cage with lots and lots of crumpled up newspaper so that he will feel super secure and stay away. Resist the urge to touch and poke and look and handle and prod.

Then, offer a small hopper mouse at dusk. Put it in the cage and walk away ... give it a good 60-90 minutes and then check ... should be gone.

Good luck.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks Adam, I will do that! He is very inactive until around 11 pm and then he comes starts exploring.

I will definitely try the newspaper thing.

What are your thoughts on this question though...the folks I got him from told me to try putting him back in the deli cup he shipped in, with a live hopper overnight, covered with a damp towel. Your thoughts on that advice? Should I just stick with your suggestion?

I do know he's drinking water, I've seen him do that at night.

Robin

Thanks

What are your thoughts on this question though...the folks I got him from told me to try putting him back in the deli cup he shipped in, with a live hopper overnight, covered with a damp towel. Your thoughts on that advice? Should I just stick with your suggestion?
    I would stick with Adam's suggestion. The more you move the ball python around the more it will become stressed, so try to avoid any moving as much as possible.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Adam,

You SOOOO Rock! I went to visit my best friend, and we stopped by the pet store that's by her, and picked up a live hopper. Got home around 10 this evening, Kashmire was out and about. Dropped hopper in with him, he checked it out a few times, and then I crumbled up a lot of newspaper, put it in there with him, and did what you suggested and walked away!

When I walked past and glanced towards the enclosure about 15 minutes later, he was readjusting his jaw. I just took the paper out to see if the hopper was anywhere to be seen, and he's nowhere. Kashmire is in his warm side hide now. I even checked inside the newspaper to make sure the hopper had not burrowed inside some of it. No hopper. Only place he could be is inside Kashmire!!! Woo Hoo!

Do you think I should continue to keep the newspaper in there for awhile, or was that mainly just for feeding.

I'm amazed how easy that was! Again! You rock! I will try to feed him again like this Friday before I go out of town for a week (boyfriend is staying so will be monitoring temps, providing clean water and watching humidity for him). If he refuses, I won't stress and will try again when I get home.

You don't know how relieved I am that he has now fed!

There will be no handling of Kashmire for at least another two weeks!

Now I just have to post a general topic about it!

Thanks again!
    Robin

Thanks

I would keep the crumbled newspaper in there until you get him feeding regularly. I keep crumbled newspaper in the enclosure all the time (and mine are almost a year old). It really helps with the stress.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

That's awesome Robin!

Keep the paper in there ... if you're using 10 pieces, after each successful feed, take one out ... if your snake refuses a meal (and isn't going back into shed) put one back in .... by the time you are newspaper free, your snake will be an eating machine!!!!

-adam

Thanks

Congrats on getting Kashmire eating Robin! Adam's newspaper trick seems a real gem (we haven't had to use it but you can't bet it'll be part of my bag of tricks).

Glad you mentioned about how to "wean" them off the newspaper Adam. I was wondering if that was the way to do it, bit by bit.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast