Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

2 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thermostats Question (and a few others)

Ha! Just goes to show just HOW new I am! I bought a dimmer thinking I was buying a thermostat. How dumb was that?

So...with that said, what brand thermostat would your recommend, where can it be purchased and what's the approximate price?

Do I need a dimmer AND a thermostat? Or can I return the dimmer (still have receipt and original packaging) and put that money towards the thermostat?

I think I'm going to take back the 100W infrared bulb I have and lower it to 50W. The 100W is ok on the dimmer on low.

Probably going to return my cool side hide and get a smaller one, because Kashmire likes to cruise through it, but I don't think I've ever seen him actually stay in it and I think it might be too big and not "snug" enough for his liking. Got that from WalMart. Thank goodness for saving receipts. One day I'm going to get his home JUST the way I like it!

Also having trouble keeping humidity between 40 and 50 (drops at night for some reason). I'm using coconut repti-bark right now and it dries out fast after misting. Is there a better substrate recommended (since I'm going to be doing some shopping this weekend for Kashmire, apparently! LOL)

Robin

Thanks

Re: Thermostats Question (and a few others)

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    what brand thermostat would your recommend, where can it be purchased and what's the approximate price?

http://www.mgreptiles.com/THERMOCOMPARE.html

Do I need a dimmer AND a thermostat? Or can I return the dimmer (still have receipt and original packaging) and put that money towards the thermostat?

That really depends on your setup, if your using bulbs as well as a uth then you will need both. Your just using bulbs then just a dimmer and if just a uth then just a thermostat is fine

I think I'm going to take back the 100W infrared bulb I have and lower it to 50W. The 100W is ok on the dimmer on low.

The wattage of your bulb depends on the ambiabt temps your trying to get in the cage as well as the ambients in the room the cage is in. A higher wattage bulb on a dimmer is fine.

Also having trouble keeping humidity between 40 and 50 (drops at night for some reason). I'm using coconut repti-bark right now and it dries out fast after misting. Is there a better substrate recommended (since I'm going to be doing some shopping this weekend for Kashmire, apparently! LOL)

There are several things you can do to rasie the humidity. You can use a humid hide, soak the bark and then just mist when you nitice it changeing to a lighter color. Also the alanog humidity guages are not that accurate, a digital gauge will be better if you dont have one.
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The undercage heater is not keeping temps high enough (I unfortunately have a screen top) so I need to supplement with overhead heating as well. What's interesting is if I use overhead heating on warm side, it makes warm side too warm, and cool side stays too cool. I've found that a light towl on the warm side of screen and 50W clear basking during the day on cool side keeps warm side temps in low 90's and cool side temps in low 80's.

I do have a digital therm/hygrometer by Acu Rite. Love that thing!

Robin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justcage
    The wattage of your bulb depends on the ambiabt temps your trying to get in the cage as well as the ambients in the room the cage is in. A higher wattage bulb on a dimmer is fine.
    OK, that's the one thing that I haven't clearly understood. What exactly is ambient temperature? What does it need to be inside the cage?

I am currently measuring cool side and warm side temps and overall humidity. Do I need another therm for ambient?

Robin

Thanks for all your advice!

Thanks

It is possible that a second thermostat may be needed for the ambient temps. The ambient temps should be about 85 or so.. People are different in that though, some will go 80 and everything is fine... I just prefer temps alittle higher, I even have my hot spots arounf 95-97 on the boids.. Hot=growth and hunger
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justcage
    Hot=growth and hunger
    Well, Hot is what I need then, because Kashmire has not fed yet. But then, I've only had him 8 days now. I just wish he would feed so his "momma" wouldn't be so worried and obsessive over him! LOL

Robin

Thanks

i had a 150W infrared bulb which was way to strong for my 20 gallon tank. i got a 75 w and its got lots of power but not too much.