Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

1 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My Ball python vomited a day after eating

So how I have my rack set up the sensing bulb is about an inn or two to the left of where my heating pad is mounted. Then I adjust temps to get the "hottest" spot on the heat pad to attain 92-95 degrees because the rest of my tub is a little colder than I would like 75-78

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

And the bulb is taped to the bottom of inside of the tub with residue free black duck tape.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,865 Times in 4,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Freejkf View Post
    And does it matter if it's just the spot directly above my heat pad that is high 90s because the rest of my tub is around 76 degrees where I keep my room at
    Yes it matters, 98*F is way too hot for comfort and the rest of the area is too cold for proper digestion.

In addition to not feeding for 2-3 weeks, get some NutriBAC from TheBeanFarm.com - it's a reptile probiotic that will help your snake recover. Dust a damp f/t feeder with a pinch of the powder.

Your snake's next meal should be a small mouse dusted with NutriBAC. If that stays down wait two weeks before feeding a similar sized feeder. If that stays down then wait a week and feed another small meal. If that's ok then start feeding as normal.

Also you mentioned "moving to feed". Feed your snake in its enclosure. No, it won't get cage aggressive, that's a myth spread by stores that want to sell you two enclosures rather than just one.

ETA: post a picture of where your thermostat probe is in relation to the heat pad b/c I don't think you have it set up properly.
    Last edited by bcr229; 01-22-2017 at 03:37 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (01-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Yes it matters, 98*F is way too hot for comfort and the rest of the area is too cold for proper digestion.

In addition to not feeding for 2-3 weeks, get some NutriBAC from TheBeanFarm.com - it's a reptile probiotic that will help your snake recover. Dust a damp f/t feeder with a pinch of the powder.

Your snake's next meal should be a small mouse dusted with NutriBAC. If that stays down wait two weeks before feeding a similar sized feeder. If that stays down then wait a week and feed another small meal. If that's ok then start feeding as normal.

Also you mentioned "moving to feed". Feed your snake in its enclosure. No, it won't get cage aggressive, that's a myth spread by stores that want to sell you two enclosures rather than just one.

ETA: post a picture of where your thermostat probe is in relation to the heat pad b/c I don't think you have it set up properly.

Thank you let me know what you think

Thanks

This is how I have most of my bps set up. I have 4 thermostats set up for 12 tubs each has 3 tubs on it

Thanks
    Thanked 9,865 Times in 4,781 Posts
    You need to get the probe AND THE TAPE out of the enclosure immediately. Tape should never ever be in a reptile enclosure, as it sticks to your snake a lot better than to the tub.

The probe goes on the outside of the tub sandwiched between a corner of the heat pad and the underside of the tub. Set the thermostat to 90*F, wait for the heat pad to come to its steady-state, use a temperature gun to measure the floor of the tub, and adjust the thermostat up or down as needed.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (01-22-2017),GoingPostal (01-22-2017),PitOnTheProwl (01-22-2017),Zincubus (01-22-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Soon I am going to have to redo this with all the notes and dos and donts.........
    The placement of your probe is NOT regulating your heat source.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-23-2017),halfnakedlife (02-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Wasn't there a thread not to long ago about a stick on thermometer that came loose from the side of the tank and stuck to the BPs eye???

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Freejkf View Post
    And the bulb is taped to the bottom of inside of the tub with residue free black duck tape.

As mentioned by someone a few posts ago this is a definite NO NO !

I'd remove the tape immediately and tape the probe underneath the outside of the rub pronto ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    What everyone else said. If you need to secure a thermometer probe or something like that inside the tub, use hot glue. It works well and they wont pull it loose. They can pretty much pull anything loose when it's taped. Even little bitty hatchlings. It's just a bad idea. Pit's crayola picture is the way to go. It's safe and gives you the best chance for accurate readings..

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

skueppers (02-04-2017),Zincubus (01-22-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast