Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

5 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

The Spider Gene/Wobble

Hello fellow Ball Python Owners. I am new to Ball Pythons, Ballpython.net and Tapatalk. I guess you could call me a triple threat . Now, I have had my 5 month old Lemonblast 20 days now and how I love him so. My profile picture is of his truly, taken last night. I am still confused about something and I'm hoping you guys can help to clarify a few things. Now, I understand the Spider Gene, causes a neurological issue with BPs. Marshall comes from a spider x lemonblast. The Spider is the mother. So i have a few questions

1) are there certain pairings of parent snakes where the, affected morph hatchlings do not develop a head wobble?

2) is there something specific about the spider gene that passes this neurological issue onto some hatchlings but not others?

I'm trying to understand how come some spider morphs get the wobble and some do not, as i was told by the breeder before deciding whether i was going to buy from them or not, that this specific snake did not have the "spider gene" so he will not be affected by a wobble. So what does that mean? As the mother being a pure spider herself is also unaffected. It's all very confusing and I have no idea about anything.

I actually really love the spider gene itself as a basic morph and mixed with everything, it does wonders.

I will say so far I am loving owning a Ball Python and whether he develops a wobble or not. He's not going anywhere. He loves coming out of his tub in the evening times. And it's almost as if he's saying let me out! Let me outttt!! He's very social.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post!

Yoz

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    The wobble is caused bythe spider gene itself and only snakes that have the spider gene will/can exhibit a wobble. Your lemon blast does not carry the spider gene and therefore will not exhibit a wobble ever. All visuals spiders have a wobble, the severity of that wobble varies from snake to snake. Some snakes have virtully no wobble where as others have them really severly. Either way, they still thrive like normal ball pythons. Granted, there are other genes that can display a wobble, they aren't as severe as the spider wobble.

To answer your questions:

1) If we are strictly speaking with the spider gene, only the offspring carrying the spider gene, i.e. Visual spiders, will have the wobble. A non-spider pairing will not produce any wobblers. Now, there are certain other genes that have been known to wobble such as champgne, hidden gene woma, super spotnose etc. The same idea applies, only visual champagnes or hidden gene womas will have the wobble. The super spotnose is special in that only the super form wobbles, so a spotnose to spotnose pairing can produce a super spotnose, also known as a powerball, which is known to sometimes wobble.

2) The wobble is part of the spider gene. You can't breed it out and it just comes with the spider gene. Whether or not you want to keep one is up to you but know that they will still live normal lives aside from that little quirk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Thirty For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (01-11-2017)

Thanks

Re: The Spider Gene/Wobble

I understand, you explained it perfectly! Thank you I think I was getting confused because the mother was a spider and that aspect was getting me all messed up. Cheers my friend.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk