Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

3 members and 3,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python x Boa??

Registered User MARCUS ANTONIUS's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Python x Boa??

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.... Is it possible to breed a python and a boa together, or would that break the species barrier? I mean they have "tigons" and "ligers" and mules and those horse-zebra cross things (not sure what those are called). I may be perceived as an idiot for asking that but it seemed somewhat reasonable to me. Plus I would love to see what an Imperator x Spider Ball would look like! Thanks!
    Jeremy

You Might Be a Herper if...
    You're standing in the pet store checkout line with your purchase in hand & the person behind you says "Oh, they're so cute! Do they make good pets?" and you reply, "These? Hmmm. Actually, I have no idea...I never thought about that..."
    - Kevin McCurley, NERD

Thanks

Re: Python x Boa??

Boas produce live young.....pythons produce eggs. Theyre incompatible.

Thanks

Oh yeah... I forgot about that small fact... HE HE!! Thanks BoidsUnlimited for straightening that out for me...
    Jeremy

You're standing in the pet store checkout line with your purchase in hand & the person behind you says "Oh, they're so cute! Do they make good pets?" and you reply, "These? Hmmm. Actually, I have no idea...I never thought about that..."
    - Kevin McCurley, NERD

Thanks

Not a problem. I thought it would be pretty neat too if it were possible

Thanks

So in theory any boa could be bred with any other boa, and any python could be bred with any other type of python? I wonder what a GTP x Sumatran Blood might look like... Or a Dumerill's x BCI... I'd love to try some stuff like that in the future.... Although I'm sure it will be the VERY distant future if at all....
    Jeremy

- Kevin McCurley, NERD

Thanks

your talking about crossbreeding and crossbreeding isnt good.
    "sleep is the cousin of death"

PRODUCED BY:~DESTROYED YOUTH~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doobysnack
    your talking about crossbreeding and crossbreeding isnt good.
    I agree with this statement. IMO cross breeding is just not a grand idea, although, I have seen my fair share of come crosses, and some are very nice looking, however, I cant help but to remind myself, most of the crosses you see would not meet in the wild and procreate. Furthermore, what about health issues caused by cross breeding species that would not normally cross? Do we truelly know yet what the cause/effect is long term? I believe there is alot to be thought about on this issue.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I agree with this statement. IMO cross breeding is just not a grand idea, although, I have seen my fair share of come crosses, and some are very nice looking, however, I cant help but to remind myself, most of the crosses you see would not meet in the wild and procreate. Furthermore, what about health issues caused by cross breeding species that would not normally cross? Do we truelly know yet what the cause/effect is long term? I believe there is alot to be thought about on this issue.
    I agree about the health issues completely... I was posting this message mainly as a curiosity question. But it can be argued though that some crosses, whether natural or "man-made" produce an offspring that has diminished inherent problems. Such as with most dogs I've seen that have been crossed with poodles, the offspring take on the poodle's lack of shedding and they become almost hypoallergenic because of the lack of dander produced. Which can, in turn, allow someone who had been allergic to dogs because of dander to have a canine companion.

Of course you could just get a full-blooded poodle.
    Jeremy

- Kevin McCurley, NERD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARCUS ANTONIUS
    I agree about the health issues completely... I was posting this message mainly as a curiosity question. But it can be argued though that some crosses, whether natural or "man-made" produce an offspring that has diminished inherent problems. Such as with most dogs I've seen that have been crossed with poodles, the offspring take on the poodle's lack of shedding and they become almost hypoallergenic because of the lack of dander produced. Which can, in turn, allow someone who had been allergic to dogs because of dander to have a canine companion.

Of course you could just get a full-blooded poodle.

IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. Poodles and other "pure bred" dogs are man made.. they do not/ did not occur naturally. Man has taken many dogs and bred them with certain others to bring out traits that they themselves want... and there are many health issues due to this.

But if you want to compare apples to apples, compare a wolf crossed with say a coyote. They are both canines, that do not to my knowledge breed in the wild naturally. I think this comparison is more like breeding python to python (different species) or boa to boa (different species). Regardless, there will be health issues no matter what species you cross breed. And cross breeding only perpetuates the type of breeding that takes from the original beauty/health of the original species. If it was meant to be, mother nature would have done so herself.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

You make a good point... I agree that if it were have been meant to be it would be so in nature. And you are right about health issues when animals are crossed. Lots of times it causes the animals to be weaker, smaller and with a diminished life span.
    Jeremy

- Kevin McCurley, NERD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast