Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,313

7 members and 1,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    Thanks

Underweight? Not eating

I started researching ball pythons late October. By mid November I had a the tank completely set up. November 28th I was ready to go to PetsSmart to buy a pastel. I decided to look on Craigslist to see if I could rehome a BP. I found an owner selling a young Enchi Pastel. I met with the owner, asked about mites, health, shed, behavior and feeding. Everything seemed perfect, my only concern he mentioned was not eating. The previous owner said he would only eat 1 F/T ever 2 weeks.

when I brought him home I placed him in his tank and left him alone for 5 days. His tank was covered with construction paper on all 4 sides. The 6th day I handled him and he seemed to do very well. The next day attempted to feed him in the bin the previous owner kept him in. I dimmed the lights and dangled a F/T fuzzy in front of him. He was completely uninterested. Through the next week I handled him 4 times. The following week we tried feeding again. I even bought a live mouse to try scenting the F/T but he had no interest.

A week later I decided to force feed. He was very reluctant but it was a success feed and he passed it 2 days later. The following week I attempted to feed again and he snapped at the dangling F/T fuzzy but didn't latch and he had no interest the rest of the night. I left it with him overnight and nothing.

I'm not sure how old he is but he is 2 feet long. The first time force feeding him he weighed 208 grams in 2 weeks he dropped down 8 grams.

He's in a 40 gallon tank. Warm and cold sides with identical hides on each side. Cool is between 78-83 degrees F, 50% Humidity. Warm side is between 88-93 F, 50-60% Humidity. Heated with an UTH mat regulated by an electric thermostat. The thermostat also has a probe which is underneath of the aspen bedding under his warm hide. I also have a heat lamp with I use as supplemental heat. I have a towel on top of the mesh top to regulate humidity. I have a lot of foliage and vines which he enjoys climbing on and resting on.

He he seems to be happy... I'm just very concerned with this size and lack of eating. Please help with any suggestions or comments. I am new to the BP world and have read a ton of articles, forums and threads but I can't get a solid answer for this situation.

thank you!

Thanks
    You could try a live rat fuzzy (if it's big enough for that size, if not maybe a rat pinkie) and leave it overnight. As long as the eyes of the prey are closed and its just a rat crawler, it should be okay.

Don't handle him anymore, even if you really want to. I would wait until he's taking meals again to try to handle. Try feeding him in the tank he's living in.

You can also try braining the f/t too. ☺ Crack open the foods head after a thaw. It's worked for me.

Don't force feed again so soon. Its a stressful event, and it might have made feeding harder. Assist feeding is a last resort. I've been assist feeding a hatchling who wouldn't eat out of the egg.
    Usually after they settle in they get better. 40 gallons is a huge tank for a small snake. . If I had a set up like yours, I would add a bunch of fake plants and hides to make him feel secure. He could feel too exposed to eat.

These are some things I've tried with tricky snakes. They might work for you too.
    Last edited by Chloe; 12-26-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Underweight? Not eating

First things first, your placement of the thermostat probe is wrong. The probe to the thermostat should be placed between the heat mat and the glass outside the tank or taped to the outside of the heat mat. Then you have to ensure there is nothing causing pressure or obstuction to the probe. Do that immediately bc the reptile is at high risk for burn injury if he isn't already. Secondly, don't handle him anymore until he has eaten at least 5 consecutive times for you in his enclosure. Absolutely no reason to take him out of his enclosure to feed him. Thirdly, don't try and feed him now or for the next four days.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 12-26-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-26-2016),Zincubus (12-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Underweight? Not eating

Wow ... quite a few issues here but you've got a lot going for you it seems . Haven't got long so short and sweet ...

As above the priority is to sort out the probe positioning as described and stop handling until he's had a few feeds at least ( again as mentioned above ) .

Then ... How are you measuring the temps ??
    Can't go wrong with a 13 dollar heat gun off eBay for taking random temps in hides / warm areas / cool areas and then those 4 dollar digital thermometers ( with a wired probe ) off eBay are fine for placing in the vivs where ever you please .

As to losing 8 grams and assist / force feeding !?!

It's far too soon to be trying assist feeding IMHO .

Leave it a week or so then whilst it's in a hide , dangle a WARM defrosted mouse / rat in front of the hide entrance , it may strike instantly but if there's any sign of interest simply warm up the mouse again with a hairdryer for 15 seconds and offer again IMMEDIATELY whilst it's warm , repeat as many times as needed . If after the first few attempts there's no interest just try again a bit later . I always feed in the evenings as the are nocturnal as you probably know .

I also believe in placing branches in the Viv as these Royals will climb every evening given the chance .

Good luck and keep us up to date !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-26-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curlynine View Post
    I started researching ball pythons late October. By mid November I had a the tank completely set up. November 28th I was ready to go to PetsSmart to buy a pastel. I decided to look on Craigslist to see if I could rehome a BP. I found an owner selling a young Enchi Pastel. I met with the owner, asked about mites, health, shed, behavior and feeding. Everything seemed perfect, my only concern he mentioned was not eating. The previous owner said he would only eat 1 F/T ever 2 weeks.

when I brought him home I placed him in his tank and left him alone for 5 days. His tank was covered with construction paper on all 4 sides. The 6th day I handled him and he seemed to do very well. The next day attempted to feed him in the bin the previous owner kept him in. I dimmed the lights and dangled a F/T fuzzy in front of him. He was completely uninterested. Through the next week I handled him 4 times. The following week we tried feeding again. I even bought a live mouse to try scenting the F/T but he had no interest.

A week later I decided to force feed. He was very reluctant but it was a success feed and he passed it 2 days later. The following week I attempted to feed again and he snapped at the dangling F/T fuzzy but didn't latch and he had no interest the rest of the night. I left it with him overnight and nothing.

I'm not sure how old he is but he is 2 feet long. The first time force feeding him he weighed 208 grams in 2 weeks he dropped down 8 grams.

He's in a 40 gallon tank. Warm and cold sides with identical hides on each side. Cool is between 78-83 degrees F, 50% Humidity. Warm side is between 88-93 F, 50-60% Humidity. Heated with an UTH mat regulated by an electric thermostat. The thermostat also has a probe which is underneath of the aspen bedding under his warm hide. I also have a heat lamp with I use as supplemental heat. I have a towel on top of the mesh top to regulate humidity. I have a lot of foliage and vines which he enjoys climbing on and resting on.

He he seems to be happy... I'm just very concerned with this size and lack of eating. Please help with any suggestions or comments. I am new to the BP world and have read a ton of articles, forums and threads but I can't get a solid answer for this situation.

thank you!
    8 Grams is nothing however I highlighted your issue, your enclosure is for a full grown adult not an hatching, downsize to a 10 gallon or 15 quarts tub, limit your handling and your animal will resume feeding and or be more consistent.

At that size the animal should be voracious, if it's not than their is husbandry issue.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-26-2016)

Thanks

I know it has been quite some time since my original post but I just wanted to update everyone on my Jasper!

After reading all the responses, I decided to leave him alone(not handle him) until he fed 5 times successfully. Though several attempts were made to feed, he had no interest.

I bought a live male mouse to try scenting the frozen/thawed fuzzies. Had to return him because of the maintenance. Later bought 2 female mice to assist in scenting. I tried braining the F/T fuzzies. I was even trying to locate a feeder breeder in my area to find live fuzzies. Each feeding attempt was done in his viv. All with no success.

On JANUARY 19th he finally, completely unexpectedly, began eating regularly. I have since had him on a 5 day eating schedule. He has shed 3 times. Each one full, one piece and perfect! He now weighs 443grams and is 36in long!
    He is a great eater! Since beginning to eat he hasn't ever denied food. Jasper is now eating 2 small rats each feeding. Reacts very well to handling, which is limited to once or twice a week.

I didn't change anything with his enclosure except for moving the thermostat probe to between the heater and glass. I have a lot of leaves and plants in his tank so I don't believe the size of the tank was the issue. I believe it was the stress of a new home and handling too soon/often that caused him not to eat.

thankfully I now have a fully functional ball python.

thanks again,
    Nina

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Curlynine For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-29-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you are feeding 2 small rats each feeding I am not surprise he is now refusing, with a male of that size a weaned rat weekly is more than enough.

One rat no bigger than 35 grams will do once the animal resumes feeding.

If you overfeed a BP they will fast to catch up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart