Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,442

2 members and 3,440 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question Looking for Reliable breeder

My daughter would really like a BP, and I am looking for a breeder who can be relied upon to sell me a baby that is already eating well and comfortable being held. Not super picky about morphs. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Most babies/hatchlings are not being handled a whole lot, esp. if you buy from a reputable breeder.

The first priority is to get a hatchling eating well. In order to do so, they have to feel "safe" and comfortable. That means small space, hides, MINIMAL to no handling until they have a few, good meals into them. That usually means, if you buy a baby, it hasn't been handled much. You want a HEALTHY one that eats well.

The handling is something you can do. You will have many, many years with this snake if you choose to keep it through its life. Most ball pythons are calm snakes and non aggressive. Some babies can be defensive, but settle down quickly. Should you get bit by a baby, any little kittens scratch is worse then that. But I know...just the thought of getting bit by a snake, its just unsettling...

I have had Ball Pythons since 2001. Right now I only have 6. But I've had about 30 different ones. Many of them were rescues. Some of those were imports from Africa, many sickly. Some were hatchlings I raised. I have NEVER been bitten by any of them. But I also don't just stick my hand in when they are in "feeding" mode. Which you will quickly learn what that looks like. Usually in the evenings, and their body language says it all.

Once YOU get your baby, whether its a hatchling with a few meals or a little bit of a older one, it is also important that you do not "handle" in the beginning. You check it over and then you put it in its new enclosure. Which needs to be spot on in husbandry and there is a ton of help on these forums on how to set one up. Then you leave it alone for a few days so it can settle in and get over the stress of moving. After a week or so, or when you notice them peeping out of the hide or "searching" at night, you offer food. Only after at least 2 successful feedings should you begin handling. If the snake keeps eating well with some regular handling (keeping it short and sweet at first) you can eventually handle more. Don't handle the day of and after feeding, and while they are in shed. Unless absolutely necessary (cleaning, checking etc)

Trust me, they will still calm down nicely. All mine did. Even the ones with minimal handling.

Of course there are the few Ball Pythons that just seem to be little firecrackers and stay somewhat naughty throughout their lives. I've never seen one personally, but they are out there. Just ask the breeder to make sure its not one of "those" little firebreathing dragons. Like I said, some babies are defensive, but you can just tell, some are not only defensive but downright "pissy" little things, and they "might" stay somewhat grumpy throughout life.

Rather rare in that species, though..

Good luck !!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    One breeder that sent me a lovely snake is Fireball Reptiles. You can look them up, I don't think we are supposed to post links.

Remember, shipping is getting kind of dicey with the temperatures and esp. the holidays, but the breeder will discuss all this with you..

Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Welcome to the site! We do have our own classifieds section here as well. There are quite a few of our awesome members with hatchlings available that I'm sure would love to help you and your daughter!

Check them out here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/foru...tion-or-Wanted
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I would try to find someone local who can not only sell you a healthy, well started baby but who would also be willing to help you get everything set up so that your baby is comfortable. I'll practically give away pet quality babies that I know are going to good long-term homes with people who just want a pretty pet.

Thanks
    Yes, local is best !!! IF you find a reputable breeder, locally.

However, beware pet stores and/or most "craigslist" type ads. Many people just trying to unload unhealthy or neglected snakes. While those snakes deserve good homes as well, some might need special care to get them healthy again. Not something you want to take on as your first snake...
    Zina