Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

2 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Baby blood being stingy eater.

So I bought my first blood a few weeks ago I'm not new to snakes and I've always loved bloods, but I've never had a picky eater all my other snakes eat f/t awithout a problem. This guy is just a wee baby (5 months old) and has only eaten live, for the breeder that is. I've tried f/t for the past two weeks but he shows absolutely 0 interest and I tried leaving it over night. His temps are 79-81 and humidity right now is at 80% I know it's high, but my accurite thermometer and hygrogemeter freaked out and told me it was 45% so I misted enough for it to go up to 60%. I reset it and since its read 80% could this be his reason for not eating? Or should I just try live. I've been told they have great feeding response, but he just doesn't care for f/t it seems. Like I said I've never encountered a feeder like this and any tips for a first time blood keeper would be greatly appreciated.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    My blood was super picky and was fed live at the breeder. It took a long time and a lot of tries but he finally switched to f/t. Still working on getting his switched to rats consistently. He prefers mice. I did end up feeding live a few times to make sure he would eat. Something that worked for me was using a smaller prey item (f/t), smaller than what he could take and making sure it's VERY warm and heated up. I found that sometimes he would strike and just not be interested. I tried leaving overnight but that never worked. The only times he ate was when he'd take and coil it right away.
    Make sure he has a nice hide, mine always stays in his hide. I don't measure or do anything special for humidity with my snake room.
    I took a screenshot of my tracking so you can see that it took persistence and patience to get him to finally take f/t. You can see how spread out the feedings were as well. He'll still refuses sometimes, especially if it's not heated up.
    So be patient, keep at it, feed live if it's starting to go too long with no food and good luck!

For the Horde!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-14-2017)

Thanks
    Nice thanks for the advice!! I always heat up my rodents for my pythons because it seems to always work for me but this little guy just doesn't even care. It's funny because when I heat up food for him all my other 2 pythons (retic and ball) line up at the front of their cage and wait for me to feed them meanwhile he just sits there he doesn't even react to food whatsoever. He's got good hides and he likes to burrow into his substrate too. I don't want to encourage him eating live, but I also don't want to kill him from being stubborn I mean I guess he's stubborn too lol. I haven't tried mice, because he's been feeding on fuzzy rats minus his first meal with the breeder.

Thanks

Re: Baby blood being stingy eater.

Keep it up Bloods love to eat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks
    What are you keeping it in? They like tight spaces