Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

1 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help needed please, look at pics

I'm worried about my 2.5 year old albino ball named Buttercup. She has a 40 gallon tank, heated by a ceramic bulb, and UTH controlled to stay at 92, two digital thermos, and humidity is a constant around 50.

For whatever reason she escaped a week ago and now I have secured the cake even more on top with 5 lbs weights at each corner. Something is wrong with her head... did she loose a scale? It appears to be brown and really dry.. only thing I can think of is she injured it lifting the screen when she escaped? I'll attach several pics. Any opinions or ideas are appreciated. Think she's okay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Help needed please, look at pics

It does look like she scraped it either by lifting the lid of the cage or somehow else.

Keep it clean by washing it with betadine solution and put some bacitracin or neosporin on it to keep any bacteria out. She might have a scar, but these guys can take a pretty good lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Thanks

Re: Please help- look at pics below

I would imagine that's probably what happened... i wouldn't get an actual locking cage top instead of just putting weights on the corners. .. what kind of tank is it?

0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Orange Dream Yellowbelly
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mangiapane85 For This Useful Post:

KMG (12-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Weights are no fix to the problem.

Snakes many times will rub it cut themselves when escaping through a tiny space that many times is applying resistance.

I don't think you have anything to worry about but you need to secure the lid properly and if the tank you have does not allow that you need to get another enclosure that will.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-28-2016),lyz.jones25 (12-28-2016)

Thanks
    Looks like a pretty good head rub, I'd say you're correct in assuming the injury occurred when she forced the lid up and wedged herself through the opening. It should heal on its own but she may have issues shedding in that area until it's healed fully.

Those weights should only be a temporary solution, you need a lid with a locking mechanism.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 12-14-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomasx View Post
    I'm worried about my 2.5 year old albino ball named Buttercup. She has a 40 gallon tank, heated by a ceramic bulb, and UTH controlled to stay at 92, two digital thermos, and humidity is a constant around 50.

For whatever reason she escaped a week ago and now I have secured the cake even more on top with 5 lbs weights at each corner. Something is wrong with her head... did she loose a scale? It appears to be brown and really dry.. only thing I can think of is she injured it lifting the screen when she escaped? I'll attach several pics. Any opinions or ideas are appreciated. Think she's okay?

You can use neosporin but make sure it doesn't have the pain reliever in it.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It looks like it is healing well already with a nice scab, I don't see any inflammation or oozing so it will likely go away on it's own in a shed or two.

I would actually not do anything to it, cleaning a fresh and open wound and using triple anti-biotic is one thing but this is already healing and I would not do anything but monitor it.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-14-2016),Craiga 01453 (02-12-2017),PokeyTheNinja (02-12-2017)

Thanks

Thank you all so-so much. It's a 40 gallon glass tank with a screen top covered in tin foil with some slits for ventilation. There are (4) 5 lb. weights on each side but I will get a locking mechanism at the store this weekend.

You think she'll permanently have a scar or will that spot turn back to yellow?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomasx View Post
    Thank you all so-so much. It's a 40 gallon glass tank with a screen top covered in tin foil with some slits for ventilation. There are (4) 5 lb. weights on each side but I will get a locking mechanism at the store this weekend.

You think she'll permanently have a scar or will that spot turn back to yellow?

I have recently rescued a boa that had a nasty rat bite. His looks better and better every time he sheds. It will take some time, but a bit of neosporin (no pain relief!) And a few sheds and she should be good as new. My guy, not so much. The rescue I got him from obtained him after a lot of flesh had been removed by a huge rat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My retic had a spot like that over the summer. Slowly disappeared every shed. I didn't use any neosporin or anything just watched to make sure it didn't get worse. Now you can't even tell it was there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast